RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hardware for 2012 E R2

Poppapete

Well.... how did you boot the install disk? If you booted it in "USB" or normal mode.....

You'd need to SPECIFICALLY select the UEFI mode for the install media (or make sure it's booting from it in UEFI mode) or it would default to legacy BIOS mode.

My WSE12R2 box is using BIOS not UEFI though the motherboard supports it. I had some challenges with UEFI when I was running R1 and trying to do a server restore. Learned the hard way. Had to reimage in BIOS mode. My own fault for not testing first. BIOS mode works and is reliable. Is possible I'm missing out on newer features but I don't know what I'm missing.

I've done it twice... on R1 without any issue. And it was definitely in UEFI mode. So, very odd.

Admittedly I'm ignorant to UEFI and benefits yes. Aside from booting > 2 TB HDD (not a need). Maybe faster boot time though my OS is on an SSD so speed not a major concern. I'm reading here if ever I need to completely reimage my server. Am hoping not. Bliss!

Edited by Jason

You have to know when doing a BMR if it is BIOS or UEFI and have the right MB.

Been caught by that before!

It's not a benefits thing it's that all MB's will be UEFI.

Edited by Poppapete

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-uefi

But, in addition, UEFI doesn't initialize every piece of hardware in the system. It only initializes the necessary stuff, and then boots to the OS. And the OS takes care of everything.

This is part of why it's much faster.

Also, it supports .... well a graphic firmware. No more text crap. 

Also, it supports .... well a graphic firmware. No more text crap. 

Yeah, but have you seen a nice looking one yet. All the ones I've seen are fugly.

I don't know. ASUS does a pretty good job. Not too busy. ASrock... are pretty .... busy. Just ... ick.

Though, ikon, you may like Supermicro's UEFI firmware. It looks just like BIOS. Like EXACTLY. The only reason I know it's not... is that boot screen stays when Windows starts booting, and has a UEFI shell. :P But man is it FUGLY.