RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hardware for 2012 E R2

Poppapete

Poppapete, I noticed you are using Serviio. They once had a plug-in for V1 and I think 2011. But now they just list a Windows version. Is that what you are using on 2012E?

I have the Version 1.4 the latest installed on both my Windows 8.1 machine and on my 2012E. They both show up on my TV's and I can steam content from either box.

• 2 weeks later...

My Final Choice:

MB:             Supermicro X10SLH-F

Chassis:     Supermicro 732D4-500B with a second fan

CPU:           Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3

RAM:           Kingston 1600MHz 4X8GB

This board will take ECC Ram but not sure if it is worth the extra $$$$$ !?!?

After reading all recent threads on this forum re 2012 E R2 have decided:

No Raid but use Stablebit DrivePool with duplication of important folders

Put OS on an SSD using an "expansion slot hard drive mount" leaving plenty of space for the 3 or 4 TB WD REDS

Will use "SkipDomainJoin" - No Domain.

Server will be used for:

Backup of 3 Computers

Media Server using Serviio or Plex

Storage of Security Camera files by setting up an FTP Server Folder and an NFS NAS Folder

Hyper-V for playing with new and old OS's

Any advice most welcome :mellow:

Edited by Poppapete

• 1 month later...

Finally put this box together and about to load the OS. The MB has IPMI which has allowed me to access the BIOS and change settings, check temperatures and voltages before I have even added a drive. I plugged a USB with the WS2013E R2 iso and it picked it up immediately. All this from my desktop over my LAN. Very impressed. I am now going to add a Samsung 128GB 840BW Pro to load the OS.

Do I format this disk for MBR or GPT?

That really depends on the motherboard in question. 

If it's UEFI, then GPT. If it's not (aka if it's BIOS), then MBR.  And there really isn't a choice in that. UEFI wants GPT unless you're using "legacy mode". And BIOS REQUIRES MBR.

Well I just let windows format the SSD and it turns out it used MBR to partition the drive. When I checked the MB manual it says it is UEFI by default. Anyway too late now. MB is Supermicro X10SLF-H.

Have now added some WD 3TB drives and loaded CoveCube DrivePool and Scanner.

That really depends on the motherboard in question. 

If it's UEFI, then GPT. If it's not (aka if it's BIOS), then MBR.  And there really isn't a choice in that. UEFI wants GPT unless you're using "legacy mode". And BIOS REQUIRES MBR.

Good point. Interesting that Poppapete was able to format it MBR, presumably during the installation, and it actually worked. Mind you, the MB manual says it's UEFI by default, which implies to me that it also supports BIOS.

My WSE12R2 box is using BIOS not UEFI though the motherboard supports it. I had some challenges with UEFI when I was running R1 and trying to do a server restore. Learned the hard way. Had to reimage in BIOS mode. My own fault for not testing first. BIOS mode works and is reliable. Is possible I'm missing out on newer features but I don't know what I'm missing.