RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New user and new microserver.

stix01

So after trolling the threads for quite some time I've decided to register and also at quite the timely time i've just ordered a g1610t.

I'm planning to run Server 2012 R2 essentials and the machine will do the following for me. ( I will load this in the ODD with my old 160gb intel SSD ) 

Back up all of my home machines ( all running win 7 ultimate )

Be my nas

record tv via a hauppage dvb-t2 usb stick

transcode back to less powerful laptops etc 

I have a few questions.

Firstly 

I currently have 2x 2tb Seagate 5900 rpm drives. 

These are in my HTPC and are in Raid 0 chock full of movies , tv shows etc. They are hung off my intel 10r controller

I have purchased 2x 4tb WD red's along with my server.

I want to move the files from the drives to my new server - fairly simple. But I was wondering what raid configurations are available to me given I have odd drives - I eventually would like to go to raid 10 with 4x 4tb red's. So I don't want to end up in a situation where I can't migrate because I probably wont have the space to start from scratch. (FYI I want a redundant setup now so either raid 1 or 10 )

Secondly

Given i'm not going to be doing anything fancy like VM's or the like will the stock cpu be enough? Also how much ram do I really need. I was thinking of just purchasing someones original 2gb stick and having 4gb. Eventually though I probably will buy a 1265L just because I'm going to want it. I don't forsee justifying the expense for a wee while. 

I also want to run server 2012 R2 because it's helpful for me to understand deployment & the in's and out's of this OS for work.

Edited by stix01

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• ikon

• riahc3

• stix01

Top Posters In This Topic

First, welcome to the forums. Glad to hear you find the forums so helpful

Secondly, I certainly have nothing against RAID 1 or 10. I just hope you're not planning to use RAID Redundancy in place of a good backup strategy. If I have to choose between Redundancy and Backup, I choose Backup every time.

I certainly have nothing against RAID 1 or 10. I just hope you're not planning to use RAID Redundancy in place of a good backup strategy. If I have to choose between Redundancy and Backup, I choose Backup every time.

Absolutely, I back up all of my valuable files to 2x externals 1 is always at my office and I revolve every month. Once my server is up and running I may consider some kind of cloud subscription.

That sounds great. Glad to hear you've not only got off site backups, but that you're rotating them. Like it.

Thanks - No point of going to all the effort of being careful with backups to lose everything to something silly like leaving the iron on. Learnt my lesson with a psu that dealt to a raid 1 machine a few years back. 

On the topic can server 2012 manage a backup device so when I plug it in it will update what's needed and tell me when it's done? or is this a manual process?

The challenge you have is moving from one raid level to the next.  Many current cards allow for a RAID migration however I first check that our based on the controller card you are using.  My suggestion is you buy one more drive and go raid 5.  This will allow you to add one more drive in the future and give you more redundant capacity up front, 8 vs. 4 (in mirror).  Popping one more drive later would allow you 12T will little effort.

The challenge you have is moving from one raid level to the next.  Many current cards allow for a RAID migration however I first check that our based on the controller card you are using.  My suggestion is you buy one more drive and go raid 5.  This will allow you to add one more drive in the future and give you more redundant capacity up front, 8 vs. 4 (in mirror).  Popping one more drive later would allow you 12T will little effort.

I will be using the stock controller in the Gen8 - only 4 bays in it. However down the track and I mean once I've purchased 2 more drives & Cpu and ram I may consider going to the p222 and going raid 5 but at this stage I'm just going to be 2 x 4tb's , 2x 2tb's and I want to be able to move my data from my raid 0 on my htpc to my microserver with the 2x new drives and then fit the 2x 2tb drives in the microserver. I would prefer to have one large volume but am aware I probably can't have this.

I guess to clarify. 

Can the stock HP gen 8 controller perform a raid 1 - raid 10 migration? This can't be to hard can it? 

Also can I just throw a drive from the microserver back into another machine if it's raid 1 and open it and copy? 

Edited by stix01

Normally, with a RAID 1, you cannot just move one of the drives to another machine and read it. I think that's true of the Gen8 MicroServer too. Would love to hear that I'm wrong though :0

Normally, with a RAID 1, you cannot just move one of the drives to another machine and read it. I think that's true of the Gen8 MicroServer too. Would love to hear that I'm wrong though :0

Ok well I guess worst case scenario can shut it down drop a drive and copy onto it type of thing. But I'd prefer not I was more thinking along the lines of dropping a drive replacing with 4tb then doing this to the other drive then somehow combining the 2x raid 1 array's I know it sounds odd but I'm sure someone can weigh in with some expert way to approach this..

I will be using the stock controller in the Gen8 - only 4 bays in it. However down the track and I mean once I've purchased 2 more drives & Cpu and ram I may consider going to the p222 and going raid 5 but at this stage I'm just going to be 2 x 4tb's , 2x 2tb's and I want to be able to move my data from my raid 0 on my htpc to my microserver with the 2x new drives and then fit the 2x 2tb drives in the microserver. I would prefer to have one large volume but am aware I probably can't have this.

I guess to clarify. 

Can the stock HP gen 8 controller perform a raid 1 - raid 10 migration? This can't be to hard can it? 

Also can I just throw a drive from the microserver back into another machine if it's raid 1 and open it and copy? 

The B series RAID controllers can not do RAID migration:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03696353-1%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=5293146&ac.admitted=1391203269534.876444892.492883150

The P series cards can as long as they have a cache module.

Page 7 addresses:

http://kmcs-service.austin.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c00378986-8.pdf

Moving drives from server to server is not advisable unless you have the same controller in each system.

If you have a RAID1 in a Microserver, you can split the mirror and move a drive to another microserver.