RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Streaming MKV Files

Guest techyguyni

Guest techyguyni

Hi Guys

Anyone know of a way to stream MKV Files from the server to other devices on the network like xbox 360 ect, I dont want to recode on the fly.

Thanks

Paul

(techyguyni)

Hi Guys

Anyone know of a way to stream MKV Files from the server to other devices on the network like xbox 360 ect, I dont want to recode on the fly.

Thanks

Paul

(techyguyni)

Easiest and best solution is Plex Media

Easiest and best solution is Plex Media

Second. Although I'm curious what you mean by "I don't want to recode on the fly." The only way to get a system that doesn't natively read the MKV is by transcoding (aka "reencode on the fly.") if the end system does play the MKV natively, then just point the system to the shared file and it will read it.

I.E. Plex Media allows DLNA enabled and other non-native MKV viewing devices (phones, tablets, various media players, etc) to watch the MKV by transcoding the video and audio codecs into ones the end player actually can display and produce.

There is a way to have Windows machines do this without a third party app; I did it through WHS 2011 when I wanted my Xbox 360 to play MKVs. it involves loading a set of codecs onto your server however (both video and audio) and is not recommended for servers since any time you introduce a codec pack there are other issues that can arise. If you're interested, do a search on this site for MKV streaming. But again - this is "reencoding on the fly."

Guest techyguyni

hi 

thanks for the input, i will take a look at your suggestions, i give you an update.

thanks again

paul 

(techyguyni)

Guest techyguyni

mvk formated files dont stream well using plex on my server essentails r2, its very blocky on my tv, everything els streams fine, looks like i need an alternitive to plex, have configured the settings to run at max but still the quility is not good enough to watch.

paul

^ If I encounter that, which is quite rare, I just go in the playback options (on the Roku 3, not sure with other clients) and choose a lower quality. For instance, if it's quirky at 8mbps/1080p, I scale it down to 4mbps/720p.