RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Guest techyguyni

IIS Port Forwarding (was Just Found Your Podcast)

jmwills

I would not change the default ports used by Remote Access. You need 80, 443, and 4125 I believe. A simple Google search will confirm what is needed.

Guest techyguyni

still not able to see my page outside of the lan, have checked google for the past week and have had no luck.

paul

jmwills

Reset the router snd setup forwarding MANUALLY.

Guest techyguyni

All sorted now, I decided to scrap all the sites in iis and start again, now everything is working, the only concern I have is when a user visits my page my ip address will be shown....eg, when a users go's to www.anyaddress,com the url changes to my ip address, i would like to hide this and keep the www.anyaddress,com in the address bar, i thought this would be a simple change with my domain providers website but seemingly not. Any help with this would be great as that solves everything

paul

jem101

I would hazard a guess that you have an error somewhere in your public DNS zone records for the domain. You don't really gain anything by hiding this as all anyone has to do is ping the name and the IP address will be displayed.

John

Guest techyguyni

hi hss

yes i understand that but would like the option.

paul

Drashna Jaelre

You can setup a host with an iframe... or other fancy stuff. But anyone with a bit of know-how will figure it out. There isn't a good way to hid your IP address when you are actually hosting content. 

jmwills

A simple nslookup for your domain is going to dhoe your IP address.

There is such a thing as being too cautious

ikon

Not to be rude, honestly, but trying to hide your IP address is a fool's errand. It cannot really be done, and it's so easy to get around any attempts to hide it that, IMHO, it's just not worth the effort.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

Speaking of too cautious.... I used Tor once. And got my WGS and Windows Live Mail account hacked while doing so..... 

You're better off trying to minimize the attack surface, and installing utilities to detect and prevent attacks. In most cases, a decent firewall and a virus scanner will cover you.