RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Guest techyguyni

IIS Port Forwarding (was Just Found Your Podcast)

Guest techyguyni

Hi Guys

Paul here in Northern Ireland. I just came accross your podcast a few weeks ago, Just want to say great show keep it up, Looking forward to future podcasts.

One area I would love to here your thoughts would be IIS, Its killing me trying to figure out why I can get my website to be seen outside of my network!!!! (of the lan on the wan)

Paul

(Techyguyni)

ikon

Welcome techguyni.

Regarding your web site, do you have port 80 forwarded on your router?

Guest techyguyni

Hi

I have the default site set to port 80 and my own site set to port 81, I have port forwarding settup on my router/modem, and I have checked that the port is open with a port open checker online.

I can navigate to the website on my lan with no problems, but as far as looking at my site from out  side the network is a no go.

Paul

(techyguyni)

just to add, I have disabled my default site while I get this working, I have also added an allow inbound rule on my servers firewall for the relivent port (81).

paul

(techyguyni)

Al_Borges

Some ISP's  don't allow webservers on client accounts -   blocking access to port 80 and other resources needed to serve up webpages across the net.

Should be listed in their terms of service.

ikon

OK, I'm a little confused now as to what ports are being forwarded and which ones aren't.

It sounds like you ISP is not blocking ports 80 or 81, since an online port checker says they're open.

Another thing you can try is to set up a port forward from a very different port. For example, from the WAN try browsing to http://<yourdomain>:12345. On your router set up a rule to forward port 12345 on incoming packets to port 80 on your web server.

Also, try disabling the firewall altogether while testing, just to eliminate that potential issue.

Guest techyguyni

hi

tryed but didnt work. i can enable my defualt page and it works fine ?

paul

(techyguyni)

Guest techyguyni

I ve tryed setting up muli ports to try and none of them work from out side the network? having a bit of a head scratch here trying to figure this out.

paul

(techyguyni)

ikon

Oh, so you can get to the default page from outside? If so, then the routing is working. This would point to an issue with your IIS config.

Guest techyguyni

yes i can connect to the remote loggin page from out side the network, this is the confusing part as i cant as previously mentioned connect to my site from out side.

Have you any config recommendations i could try

thanks 

paul 

(techyguyni)

ikon

My IIS knowledge was always very limited and it's now quite out of date, so I wouldn't be able to offer any suggestions. However, I'm sure there are others in the forums who could, and I'd also bet you could find the answer using Bing or google.