RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Back fan has developed a "buzz" noise

riahc3

Got my Gen8 three days ago and Ive left it running in the idle screen (no boot media) just to test out. After 3 days, this morning, the back large fan is now buzzing (zzzzzzzzzz). This only happens when it is in low spining mode (web interface says 29%). Ive already called HP and they commented that this server is not suppose to be quiet but Ive commented that this has been the state (on, nonstop) for 72 hours and in the first day-second day it didnt make this noise.

It is running no software at all and has nothing new installed.

In my attic, it sounds even if low. I personally dont accept this for something Ive paid money for. Ive opened a case with HP but they told me that I have to contact the seller which contacts HP in case they need to change it.

Lets see how it goes. Sad that this is my first experenice.

Edited by riahc3

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• oj88

• overcoat

• riahc3

Top Posters In This Topic

So my Gen8 actually developed exactly the same problem within a couple of weeks of purchase.  It took 2 (count 'em!) fan replacements to get one that didn't buzz.  The first one was self installed (shipped from HP) and had the same issue.  The second was on-site engineer installed (I have a NBD on-site Care Pack) and no longer had the issue.  Although there was no difference between what the HP field engineer did and what I did, so I am guessing it really was a faulty fan.  The server has been running for months without issue ever since.

Time to put that warranty to good effect!

So my Gen8 actually developed exactly the same problem within a couple of weeks of purchase.  It took 2 (count 'em!) fan replacements to get one that didn't buzz.  The first one was self installed (shipped from HP) and had the same issue.  The second was on-site engineer installed (I have a NBD on-site Care Pack) and no longer had the issue.  Although there was no difference between what the HP field engineer did and what I did, so I am guessing it really was a faulty fan.  The server has been running for months without issue ever since.

Time to put that warranty to good effect!

I dont know what type of warranty I have but HP/seller did say that HP would come by and pick it up themselves.

And im pretty lucky IMO: I got this like I said 3-4 days ago and the warranty expires in Novemeber! :( This is what happens for not buying directly from HP (I cant) and getting it from a cheaper seller.

Is HP's line open tommorow? Ill call them to pressure them ASAP.

Do you mind if I ask you the first and last two letters of your serial number? Just in case there is a connection. Mine is "CZ" and "ZW"

Edited by riahc3

<cough>Go for aftermarket fans<cough>

This may be irrelevant when you're still under warranty. But knowing that the included fan has a high rate of quality defects, it may only be a matter of time when the new fans starts to make another racket. I'd consider using aftermarket, known-to-be-silent, case fans like those from Noctua.

<cough>Go for aftermarket fans<cough>

This may be irrelevant when you're still under warranty. But knowing that the included fan has a high rate of quality defects, it may only be a matter of time when the new fans starts to make another racket. I'd consider using aftermarket, known-to-be-silent, case fans like those from Noctua.

Noctua fans are AMAZING. I have one in my CPU. Wow. Simply just Wow.

What size is the case fan in the Gen8? Ill just the warranty but for future refrence (and accidents) Ill write it down in case I wanna replace it.

But I compeltely agree. Noctua is one of the best purchases Ive made for my PC.

The PSU fan is impossible (well. nothing is imposible like Nike says but it isnt common/it is hard/etc) to replace, right? :P

Edited by riahc3

I use a pair of Noctua NF-P12's in my homebrew server and they're just eerily quiet. The previous el-cheapo fans I had (Cooler Master XtraFlo) were hopelessly out of balanced and produced chassis vibrations. With the Noctuas, you'd think that the server is off.

The G8 I think has a 140mm main fan and a 40mm PSU fan. The Noctua NF-A14 or NF-A15 (both 140mm) should be a good fit.

The Noctua NF-A4x10 can be used for the PSU. It only produces 17,9 dB(A) of noise at a max RPM of 4,500.

EDIT: Just read up on the issues associated with changing out the fan to a non-OEM one. It does look difficult and almost impossible. Good luck on that.

Edited by oj88

The G8 I think has a 140mm main fan and a 40mm PSU fan. The Noctua NF-A14 or NF-A15 (both 140mm) should be a good fit.

The main fan does look like 140mm indeed. The PSU fan Im not sure.

EDIT: Just read up on the issues associated with changing out the fan to a non-OEM one. It does look difficult and almost impossible. Good luck on that.

? Why would it be difficult? They are standard 3-4 pin power pins. And the screws dont look nonstandard.

Could you point me a link so I can read? Thank you

Read it here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1377-page8.html

Relevant excerpt:

The new Gen8's intractable fail-safe fan/thermal shutoff system is draconian. Any attempt to slow the fan, even applying a little friction by hand on the fan's hub, is enough to trigger a complete system shutdown. There is no hardware monitoring or fan control section in the BIOS; all this is relegated to HP's vaunted ILO system, which as Larry pointed out, costs more money.

Could the fan be replaced with a quieter one? The 6-pin, 5-wire fan is so far from standard PWM fan configuration that even finding a plug to fit the six tightly spaced pins was a challenge. After much scrounging in the lab's old parts bins, I adapted an old 4-pin cable for audio directly from a CD drive to the motherboard. The cable was cut in two and both ends used with pins reconfigured so they made contact with the relevant five pins on the motherboard fan header. The cut ends of the wire were bared and tinned so they could be poked into the 4-pin female connector of a standard PWM fan. Two of the wires from the stock fan are black, so it seemed safe to assume they were both ground, which left 4 wires to play with. I experimented with several PWM fans and umpteen combinations of terminations, to no avail. No matter what I tried, the fans would 1) not start, which led to the Gen8 shutting down before the end of the boot sequence, 2) start at full speed, or 3) start at reduced speed but then get into an annoying speed up/down cycle once in the OS and within a few minutes result in a forced shortdown. After a couple of days of this, I gave up.

Read it here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1377-page8.html

Relevant excerpt:

1st: I can confirm it is a 120mm fan. Just measured it.

2nd: First off, I unplugged the fan from the motherboard while running and all it did was red light at the front. Kept on going. It seems that damn 6 pin is asking for trouble. No converter exists. The Noctua NF-S12A ULN at 800rpm sounds good and at that speed I wouldnt care much about fan control as it would always be quiet...

Edited by riahc3

I just read that article and there are things in that article that are incorrect...

Like I said I just got a measuring tape and I measured the BACK fan. It is 120mm.