RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

can you stream videos with HP MediaSmart EX490 Windows Home Server

ceci123

i am thinking about buying one those HP MediaSmart EX490, Windows Home Server from new egg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859105562
but I am not sure if this will do what I want.

Basically I want to be able to watch videos online on my tv, like HULU and the theDailyShow. Does anyone know anything about this product?

Also what is the difference bet. this and an HTPC?

thanks.

ceci123,
In addition to what is built in to the HP, you can always use things like Playon (http://www.playon.tv/playon/) to cover your online needs. The server is a must have and will do anything you asked it too not to mention backup and scalable storage.

Ceci123 - you will need to be a little more descriptive on what you are trying to do.

Is your TV DLNA compliant? Are you thinking you would hook your TV directly to the HP box? You mention online videos and watching them on your TV.

The HP MediaSmart Servers are headless boxes, meaning there is no monitor, keyboard or mouse. You use another PC in your home to connect to the server for performing tasks.

Now I believe pcdoc is correct, you could load Playon on the MSS and then use it to stream to your DLNA TV, but that is not what the servers are designed to do (not that it isn't done). The MSS and other WHS boxes store data, videos and music and then make them available to other devices in your home (or remote with some applications).

Tell us more what you would like to do and we can help steer you in the right direction.

BTW, a Windows Home Server box and a Home Theatre PC are 2 completely different animals. There are some people who have combined them, but this is not typical use.

I agree. I definitely think we're talking about 2 different products here. ceci123, if you've never owned a server before, I highly recommend it. The MSS's are awesome, imo. I have the EX495 and I love it. And if you need an htpc, you could do a lot worse than an Acer Revo. ION-based, Atom-based little box that consumes roughly 20 W during use. Anything you can stream with your main rig, you can stream with one of those - Hulu, Netflix, Pandora, network-based movie/music rips, etc. I have the Atom-330 Revo though I expect the single-core model would do the job as well.

Ceci123,

dvn and cskenny are right as I misunderstood the question. I "assumed" you had some kind of PC attached to your TV and where looking for a way to manage your online content. It is unlikely that you will be successful if you are trying to add media center functionality into WHS. As they stated, two different animals. I would reconsider that and take dvn suggestion and go with and Acer Revo (or higher).

<p>i am thinking about buying one those HP MediaSmart EX490, Windows Home Server from new egg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859105562

but I am not sure if this will do what I want. </p><p>Basically I want to be able to watch videos online on my tv, like HULU and the theDailyShow. Does anyone know anything about this product? </p><p>Also what is the difference bet. this and an HTPC? </p><p>thanks.</p>

Hi,

Yes, if you use this on a wired network you will be fine 90% of the time. It is a little underpowered but better than an Atom. When I say 90 percent, you may see some stuttering on a rare occasion if your server is busy.

Hi,

Yes, if you use this on a wired network you will be fine 90% of the time. It is a little underpowered but better than an Atom. When I say 90 percent, you may see some stuttering on a rare occasion if your server is busy.

The original inquiry was about watching online content from Hulu and The Dailyshow, not actually streaming video from a server.

Hi,

I have stuttering with my homebuild whicch is a quad core with 2.66 GHz.

I use a HP EX485 to stream videos and have no stuttering at all. I have disabled Twonky and I use SageTV (both on my server and running on a separate box) to watch video using an extender. No problems at all.

When I had Twonky running at the same time it would max out my CPU.

yep there is a problem with Twonky on the MediaSmart server and certain files.It would max out your CPU. Some updates have come along but it's not to my satifaction. I did this hack http://mswhs.com/2010/04/09/installing-twonkymedia-server-5-1-2-on-the-mediasmart-server/ but also wanted to check out the new stuff from the latest Twonky 5.1.5 so I bought a key $17 cdn and have been giving it a try. This version can be used on home builds and works fine from what I read.

I can also use the key for the 6.0 version. I like the flash interface, it's similar to MediSmart Servers MediaStreamer web page.

I found out today that Twonky will be dropping WHS. http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/06/09/packetvideo-ends-development-of-twonkymedia-server-for-windows-home-server/