RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Please recommend camera for NVR

nleistad

Presently looking to find some cameras to connect to my DS. I know there is  list of 1700+ cameras that work. Great if you've already got a camera and looking for compatibility. I don't and decyphering the list starting to wear thin.

I haven't figured out how to narrow the selection to include only POE but that's high on the list. I've either wired for ethernet, or haven't wired at all. If I've got to run cables for power, it could just as well be ethernet too. I don't need transformers all over the house.

I hope to set up between 1 - 4 cameras, front porch, outside garage, back yard, and maybe on an out-building aimed at the driveway. A camera inside the house isn't going to go over big, but maybe I can get one in the kitchen and/or living room if it's operable only when the house is empty.

I'm not going to be happy about the per camera licensing, but I'm so happy with all the rest of the things the DS does, I'll swallow hard and buy in. I can always start slow.... I had considered including the cameras as part of my home automation system, but I think the DS-NVR will be a better fit. One of the HA systems I have tested used cloud storage for camera/video storage, but the monthly $$ for that didn't make much sense when I've already got the DiskStation.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for cameras that others are already happy with. I've nearly pulled the trigger a time or two, but after checking Amazon reviews, I usually end up w/ no camera at all.

So, summarizing: cameras that have worked well, POE, PTZ, internal and/or external models, (my initial hopes were sub-$100, maybe as high now as the mid-$200s. Pretty sure I'm NOT BUYING a $1500-$2500 model regardless the level of forum praise).

Thanks for the input.

Have you looked at this thread very recent thread?

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6889-ip-camera/

PTZ Cameras sound like a good idea but not really.

Look at this review and read all the comments, tons of information.

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1791

Edited by Poppapete

PTZ is really most useful for live monitoring, when you're actively trying to follow someone or something in real time. For static monitoring, we have found it most useful to have overlapping camera fields of view.

For example, to cover one side of a building, we install 2 cameras, one at each end. The cameras look back at each other. This leave no blank spots. Of course, this means a 4-sided building requires at least 8 cameras, so it's not for everyone.

Thanks to Poppapete for the links. Nice reads.

Settled on Hikvision with some trepidation. Reviews were good but "re-branded" issues prevalent in threads I tracked. Lack of Hikvision support due to this was cause for pause; after searching many sellers, settled on www.nellyssecurity.com.

A phone call to their tech support confirmed "genuine", "new in the box", and 30 day return policy. Pricing was reasonable. Arrived in about 4 days. I used the provided software to reconfigure the camera as its default was not on my network. Easy, peasy, as long as you don't think you're changing the default password when you initiate network configuration change.

Applied my ONE Synology camera license to it for testing. So far, w/ it just on my bench, pretty impressed. Still testing.

I HAVE iSpyconnect attached to a webcam that's in trial too, but the Synology software, from the 15 minutes I've played w/ it seems pretty nice.... Once happy w/ the camera, I intend to add a Ubiquity ToughSwitch PRO POE switch and get the unit mounted outside. (It was -18 degrees as I drove to work this morning, outdoor mounting may be a few weeks away...)

"It was -18 degrees...."

Wimp! Heck, that's shirt sleeve weather in Canada :D     Just kidding! You are probably better to wait for the weather to warm up. One issue you can run into when it's too cold is damaging your house siding, woodwork, etc. because they can't flex at those temps and have a tendency to crack instead :(

This is the switch I got from China and it works a treat. $35 PS104 4 port.  I have 2 cameras on it now and it will take 4.

http://poetech.en.alibaba.com/product/1400478526-218809134/4_port_PoE_switch_15_4W_each_port_100Mbps_1uplink_100Mbps_PS104_Rundata_for_IP_camera.html

Interested to know if you using the hikvision interface and what  recording method you using - FTP, NFS NAS !

So far, just monitoring Synology Surveillance Station. Installed the config package for Hikvision and guess I confirmed I could view camera initially there, but since.... only a couple of evenings to play with it, it's all been on the Synology. One of these days, I'm going to get started talking about Disk Station Manager and I'm going to start sounding a lot like Dave. :D