RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L 6months old last 4 months every 50 to 60 hours NIC freezes

jweir

Hello all

I am new to this forum and hoping for some answer.. have a very puzzling problems that I have not been able to figure out

I have web servers at work that I have built and run in a production environment.

one I have at home the N40L ran wonderfully for the first two months with no problems. I upgraded my internet speeds at home and now I have a problem with this server only all other devices both wired and wireless do not freeze between 50 and 60 hours of up time.

N40L is running windows server 2008 R2 with IIS (host a web site for special needs family information)

I have changed the n40l from static IP to DHCP thinking that would help, did not

I have turned off windows firewall hoping this will help, so far has not. using Router firewall with the N40L in DMZ

I have checked to make sure the NIC configuration is not set that computer control this device to put it to sleep

I have move it to different ports on the router

running a dynamic dns client have the heartbeat set low on that

I can ping the IP from some other computer and it works browser the site in this state come back page can not be displayed or server not found

I can ping out from the N40L to Google and it works I can not surf Google in this state

I think that everything I have tried.

I have ordered a new NIC for it waiting for that come in .. currently onboard NIC

any idea or help.. would be grateful

thank you

Edited by jweir

Are you running the stock bios or a modified one?

If it is the HP bios, have you upgraded it to the latest version? There is a fairly new BIOS that fixed NIC issues with 2012 R2.

Are you running the latest 2008 R2 driver?

Have you tried a different switch port and a new cable?

Sorry for all the questions, just walking through the basics I would look at.

Are you running the stock bios or a modified one?

If it is the HP bios, have you upgraded it to the latest version? There is a fairly new BIOS that fixed NIC issues with 2012 R2.

Are you running the latest 2008 R2 driver?

Have you tried a different switch port and a new cable?

Sorry for all the questions, just walking through the basics I would look at.

Stock bios.. have not updated to the latest HP bios

have switch to different ports and new cables

have the update 2008 R2 driver installed

At a minimum, see if there is a new driver for the NIC.  The worst case is to put in a second NIC and run from it.  $20 tops.

have the updated NIC driver. re-installed and installed stated they where current

going to do the bios update tomorrow

Thursday I will have the nic card to install 

and have 9 hours to go before the NIC freezes crossing finger the re-installing the drives may have done something

Jim 

• 2 weeks later...

the new NIC did not fix the problem either, every 54 to 60 NIC freeze new and old... no error on the server.. can not browse on the server with either URL name address or IP, only fix is reboot the server

if anyone have any ideas.. please share