RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Not upgrading to Vail........

eobie

Who is with me? When I first set up my WHS I was all excited and wanted to do everything I could with it. Now.... it's an appliance. It just sits there doing it's job; backing up my computers and serving movies to my htpc's. Unless Microsoft magically comes up with some sort of migration path I am not upgrading. There is no way for me to save my data without building another machine with the same amount of storage space.....

Forget that noise. :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• eobie

• Alvin Ramard

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not with you, but I can understand why you could feel that way.

I guess my situation is different from most people on here. I was in the process of evaluating WHS when Vail was released. The migration was easy for me since I still had a copy of all my files on the original machines.

The main thing I was looking for were centralized file storage and a backup solution. Vail does provide those 2 items.

I have to admit that so far Vail is not very exciting, but remember, it's not fully developed. There's still a few months to go before the beta period is over. Lots can change in that time period. If the "final" version doesn't have all the bells and whistles that I would like, well ..... maybe I can develop my own solution for those. I already have a few things in mind that I may try as soon as I find the time. Hopefully that will be before 2015.

In my case I could care less if it is exciting. I use my WHS to serve movies, that is it. As long as WHS v.1 does this, I'm good.

That makes sense to me. Why go thru the hassles of upgrading if what you've got is good enough for you?

Sometimes, leaving things alone is the best (and cheapest) solution.

Alvin

I think we will hear more and more of these sentiments until one of the betas really blows us away. V1 enough for me will be the cry of enthusiasts! We go over this a bit in episode 93.

which is why I made this post. if they want people to upgrade they need to give people a way to migrate their data. im no software engineer, but couldn't they offer the option to restore a Vail installation the same as WHS v1 in order to keep your files? I understand my system drive will need to be wiped, by why my data drives?

Yes. I was initially excited about Vail. But after the hassle and eventual failed attempts to backup my PC, among other gnarly issues, I'm now holding off until the 2nd beta. I know, I know. This is not your mother's 'Windows 7 beta' release. ;-) In any event, I don't plan on retiring my EX495 anytime soon. That lil' box is just too sweet!

Vail, from what I saw in my brief testing, does not wipe all attached drives during an install as v1 does. Only the drive it installs the OS on. For file migration, it should a simple copy/paste to transfer files to a drive in Vail's storage pool. I've heard that PC backups are another issue, though I'm not sure why.

I suspect I will plan to upgrade, but I am not excited about potentially losing the V1 PC backups I already have. Hopefully MS will recognize this dilemma and develope an easy (or at least doable)upgrade path. However, it IS a chance to build and tinker, which are challenges I love! And my old hardware (a repurposed Dell PowerEdge 1600 SC from the trash bin at my office) is showing it's age.

I will definitely be looking at upgrading when Vail goes RTM. In the meantime I will likely set up a test box. I'm looking forward to some of the new media integration features that have been hinted at, and the improvements to the backup & restore features.

I can certainly sympathise with those who want an easy-to-use upgrade path. I would like to suggest that everyone make their feelings known to MS, loud & clear; that's how features like this will get the attention they need.

I'm a bit surprised to see dvn's post that Vail does not wipe out the data drive. After re-reading his post, it sounds like what's going on is Vail will not automatically add existing drives to the pool, which is good. But, afaik, Vail incorporates a completely re-written drive extender that's incompatible with the V1 extender. Please correct me if I'm wrong dvn, but it sounds like you had a 2nd set of drives that you added to your Vail pool and then you copied your data over from the V1 drives to the Vail pool. That would make sense as a migration strategy, even though it might be a little expensive for some.