RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Technogod

DrivePop Causes Computer To Show Up Twice

Technogod

After installing DrivePop software, computer shows up twice under network in file explorer. I've been able to reproduce this in Windows 8 and a Windows 8.1 VM. Has anybody else experienced this problem. I saw the same problem on my wife's Windows 7 Home Premium laptop but it disappeared. See attached screen shot. Only one of the computers is part of the workgroup.

DrivePop Problem.jpg

Dave

I have it installed on WHS 2011 and am not seeing that. When you right click each of them are they the same?

Technogod

I need someone to test it on Windows 8.

timekills

I have it installed on Win 8.1 laptop and Server 2012 Essentials. Neither has exhibited any network duplication or strangeness.

Technogod

OK, now I need to know if anybody has it installed on Windows 8 Pro with hyper-v enabled so I can compare apples to apples.

timekills

I installed Hyper-V. I then installed a virtual switch using my WLAN adaptor and installed a test 8.1 VM. 

Only one instance of my laptop (GT60) showed before, during, or after this.

I then added the wired NIC as a virtual switch, still no duplication of the machine on the network. 

Apples to apples, as far as OS level goes. P.S. machine is not domained; on workgroup only.

Drashna Jaelre

This is usually a master browser election issue. (aka networking issue, and not one that occurs in a domain)

There was a way to force this and prevent this issue (registry hack)

Technogod

DrivePop tech support agreed Windows 8 Pro with Hyper-V enabled could be causing the problem. They submitted a problem report to the developer.

timekills

DrivePop tech support agreed Windows 8 Pro with Hyper-V enabled could be causing the problem. They submitted a problem report to the developer.

Did they give any inisight? My guess would be some confusion between the virtual and physica NICs, but not sure what the application is doing to cause it to be seen as an additional node.

Jason

Does anyone have experience restoring from Crashplan?  I have the CP client app installed on one PC in house where our family photos/videos are stored.  The client PC always scans for changes and backs them up to a WSE12R2 share \Crashplan on the server.  Approx. 1.1 TB of data in this case.

Recently this client PC's HDD died so I replaced the HDD and went to restore all 1.1 TB of data from the WSE12R2 Crashplan backup (source).  However I noticed when I selected RESTORE from 'most recent' backup in Crashplan settings on the client PC (the default), it said 0 MB to restore.  I then proceeded to modify this date from current date 3/23 back one day at a time (3/22, 3/21, etc.) until I reached 3/5/14 which finally said 1.1 TB of data available to restore.  Since our video and photo library doesn't change frequently, it's quite possible 3/5/14 was the date is last changed and warranted any backup.

Is this typical Crashplan restore behavior?  That you have to go through trial and error to find when the last backup date occurred?  Would expect "most recent" option to determine that for you?  Thanks.