RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Pretty much set on the Gen8; Anything I should look out for?

riahc3

Hello,

Im pretty much set on getting a HP Microserver Gen8.

This will be running Windows Server 2012 R2 (domain controller, DHCP server, etc) and pfSense (router). Essencially nothing else except some VMs to try out new distros and anythigne lse that tickles my fancy. But 24/7/365, WS2012R2 and pfSense.

The WS2012R2 will also act as a NAS 3 (or 4, more on that later) 3TB HDDs. Those will be mangaged by StableBit DrivePool.

Here is total costs:

Gen8 1TB @ €392.78 - http://store.intisa.com/servidores/115816-724145-425-hp-proliant-microsvr-gen8-g1610t-1p-4gb-u-b120i-non-hot-plug-sata-1tb-lff-svrtv-0887758293027.html

Kingston 8GB @ €97.90 - http://tienda.e-soft.es/memorias/37645-kingston-technology-8gb-ddr3-1333-0740617202960.html

Drivepool and scanner €25

Total: € 515.68

Now I said 3 or 4 drives because Im thinking of running BOTH WS2012R2 and pfSense of a 64GB SD card. Opinions on that? If not, I can either use the included 1TB as my system drive or I have a 320GB sitting around doing nothing.

Opinions? Things I should look out for?

Edited by riahc3

Maybe I haven't been paying attention.  Can you point me to an example where someone has WS2012R2 running on a SD card?  I didn't realize that was possible.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention.  Can you point me to an example where someone has WS2012R2 running on a SD card?  I didn't realize that was possible.

Even if it is, I wouldn't advise it.  What with patches over time, free space even on a 64GB SD card would become an issue.

In a case like this, I'd probably be using an SSD for a boot drive in the optical bay.  However, my own sense of network design doesn't like the idea of running PfSense on the same hardware as your server; to me, a router should be a router, unless you're using it for testing only, and not production.

I'd go with a separate very entry-level build (which should be all that is required in a home space) for PfSense, or with an obsolete box you have lying around, and make your server a server to avoid maintenance requirements that might mean when you bring down your server, you bring down the Internet too.  Heck, an entry-level Core 2 Duo or Pentium Dual-Core should be overkill, and a gig of RAM would exceed requirements, so if you have a parts bin with a pair of small DDR2 modules, you've got a start.  Throw in a matched pair (or a single dual-port) Intel NICs found OEM for cheap on eBay, throw it in the tiniest box you can put together with the spare parts you have, and you're golden.

Better yet, find a cheap SFF system with dual NICs like this one.  Low power, small, perfect for your router.  There's at least one comment that notes this box is nearly perfect for PfSense.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856205007

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

In a case like this, I'd probably be using an SSD for a boot drive in the optical bay.  However, my own sense of network design doesn't like the idea of running PfSense on the same hardware as your server; to me, a router should be a router, unless you're using it for testing only, and not production.

Better yet, find a cheap SFF system with dual NICs like this one.  Low power, small, perfect for your router.  There's at least one comment that notes this box is nearly perfect for PfSense.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856205007

Well, I know one or two builds that have a server type OS running along their pfSense in VMs on a ESXi box on a N54L.

Besides using just one of the 320GB HDDs Im using to install WS, I have another 3. The worst that could happen is that it fails and I just replace it with a new one.

Ill just weekly image that 320GB to one of the 3 3TB drives and thats it. Have a constant replaceable storage.

Edited by riahc3

So Lonewolf was first pointing out that you will probably have troubles (if not fail) running WS2012R2 off of a SD Card.

He also mentioned if it were him he would probably use an SSD.  He didn't say a HDD wouldn't work and he also didn't say a HDD would fail.  He was talking about the SD card idea.

You didn't mention in your first post if you were running ESXi.  If that is your base OS then maybe you can run it off a SD card.  However, your first post implied you were using WS2012R2 as the base OS (at least to me).

Finally, Lonewolf was simply pointing out a different way to get your pFsense router without putting everything into 1 box.  He wasn't implying it hadn't been done or couldn't be done.  To many of us the stability of our systems is very important and having a router and a server running in the same box would not be our preference.

• Like 1

So Lonewolf was first pointing out that you will probably have troubles (if not fail) running WS2012R2 off of a SD Card.

He also mentioned if it were him he would probably use an SSD.  He didn't say a HDD wouldn't work and he also didn't say a HDD would fail.  He was talking about the SD card idea.

You didn't mention in your first post if you were running ESXi.  If that is your base OS then maybe you can run it off a SD card.  However, your first post implied you were using WS2012R2 as the base OS (at least to me).

Finally, Lonewolf was simply pointing out a different way to get your pFsense router without putting everything into 1 box.  He wasn't implying it hadn't been done or couldn't be done.  To many of us the stability of our systems is very important and having a router and a server running in the same box would not be our preference.

Misspoke then, sorry.

I would run ESXi as base and then WS2012R2 (NAS, DC, DHCP) and pfSense (router).

The best would be to install WS2012R2 and pfSense to the HDD. Maybe ESXi to the SD? What size are we talking about (SD)?

I do not have any hardware laying around to make a pfSense router out of it :(

That clears things up quite a bit.  I have seen where people have installed ESXi on USB drives and possibly SD cards but I have no experience with it myself.

The only other comment I would make is either read through the forums for ideas or take the plunge and try it.  You can always come back and ask more questions.

I have ran ESXi off a 4gb usb thumb drive. I would recommend running WHS off its own disk. If ESXi stops working, you can still boot off the WHS disk and get things running again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I have ran ESXi off a 4gb usb thumb drive. I would recommend running WHS off its own disk. If ESXi stops working, you can still boot off the WHS disk and get things running again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You just gave me a better idea; I have a bunch of 2GB USB 2.0 thumb drives. Ill just use one of those...

Could you explain a bit further when you say you recommend running WHS off its own disk? Im going to install WS2012R2 on its own 320GB HDD and have 3 3TB disks as storage space.

Edited by riahc3