RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
jeepinjon

Seagate NAS showing up at 1/2 capacity

jeepinjon

I have a MediaSmart EX490 with upgraded processor and ram running WHS 2011. I recently purchased some of the SeaGate NAS 4tb drives and stuck them into the server. When I did this it is recognizing the drives at 1.7tb, and not at the full 4tb (probably 3.5 formatted).

I have gone into disk manager and it is showing the drives at the 1.7tb there as well, even when I change them to GPT and try to reformat the drives. When I run SeaTools it is showing the full 4tb's of storage and all of the testing is showing up fine. Is there a step I am missing to get WHS 2011 to recognize the full storage capacity of these drives?

From the reviews of other people it seems like it is something in the hardware limiting the drive size more than the software. I am looking in the next year to replace this box, but I need something to get me by until I can replace it with a Synology.

Joe_Miner

I'm assuming these are data disks... (Your OS drive will have to be MBR and will have to be <= 2TB)

Use DiskPart to Clean the drives http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465(v=ws.10).aspx 

Go into drive or disk management and initialize the drives a GPT then format each drive as a single vol  like I did with 3TB drives on a MicroServer:

I know it works on MicroServers so I'd expect it to work on the MSS unless there really is some HW issue.

jeepinjon

I have used DiskPart to clean the drives, and I have removed all partitions and reformatted them in disk manager as GPT, but Disk Manager is still showing them as 1.7tb. This is where I am thinking it might be a HW issue because other people are able to go into disk manager in the tutorials and just convert them to a full 4tb GPT partition, but I am limited to one partition of 1.7tb, and disk manager and diskpar aren't sowing the other roughly 1.7tb. I am trying to run these drives as part of the storage pool, and am using a 2tb WD Black drive for the boot drive.

Edited by jeepinjon

jeepinjon

I did some more research and found that the intel controler needs a driver 10.1 or higher. I downloaded and updated the driver and I am now seeing 3.7259gb of storage.

Drashna Jaelre

Well, that would do it. 

Glad ti was a simple fix.

ikon

nice find jeepinjon.