RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V - part of 2012 Essen R2?

Jazman

Is Hyper-V part of this OS?  If not, can it be added somehow?  Cost?

I see it's supposed to be included with Server 2012 but I'm not sure about Essentials...

Thanks,

Jaz

Edited by Jazman

Yes, Hyper-V is included but you must install it as a role/feature. Bring up the server manager from administrative tools, and then in the server manager  dashboard - Configure this local server, item 2 is add roles and features. Hyper-V is under the roles and features here.

Be aware of licensing.

On Server 2012 R2 Essentials. the ONLY SUPPORTED AND LICENSED way to run HyperV is to install the role, REMOVE the Essentials Experience Role from the host and then install Essentials in a VM.

And then you are ONLY LICENSED TO RUN THAT ONE COPY OF ESSENTIALS IN A VIRTUAL MACHINE. AND YOU ARE NOT LICENSED TO USE HYPERV FOR ANYTHING ELSE OR FOR OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS.

Why am I shouting? Because if this is for a business, and you get audited, you will be in deep s**t.  That said, for home use... you can get away with it....

snip...

ONLY LICENSED TO RUN THAT ONE COPY OF ESSENTIALS IN A VIRTUAL MACHINE. AND YOU ARE NOT LICENSED TO USE HYPERV FOR ANYTHING ELSE OR FOR OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS.

...snip

Which of course does beg the question of 'what's the point in doing this?'

Be aware of licensing.

On Server 2012 R2 Essentials. the ONLY SUPPORTED AND LICENSED way to run HyperV is to install the role, REMOVE the Essentials Experience Role from the host and then install Essentials in a VM.

And then you are ONLY LICENSED TO RUN THAT ONE COPY OF ESSENTIALS IN A VIRTUAL MACHINE. AND YOU ARE NOT LICENSED TO USE HYPERV FOR ANYTHING ELSE OR FOR OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS.

Why am I shouting? Because if this is for a business, and you get audited, you will be in deep s**t.  That said, for home use... you can get away with it....

This is for home, but I do make an effort to be compliant for stuff I actually use.  Yes, technically, I will occasionally violate licensing rules when I'm trying something out or just using it for a short period.  So much of licensing is a bunch of BS and slanted to the developer (ie: you don't "own" this and if it doesn't work for what you paid for it, tough... we're keeping your money).  But, if it's truly something I intend to use, then I make sure I have a valid license.  I want to support developers and companies whose product I actually use.

BUT, the original reason for the question is because I do want the ability to create and run VMs.  I do want my actual server to run on the raw hardware but have it able to host VMs.  I have no interest in running Essentials AS a VM.  At the office, we use VMWare, but that seems to not be very popular around here.  So, Hyper-V looks to be very popular... I'm guessing because it's "free" as part of Server.  But, only the higher end versions I guess.

EDIT:  Also, from my standpoint, Virtual Box looks appealing since it's free.  It may not be as high end as Hyper V, but I don't need a bunch of advanced features.  It's also appealing since it doesn't require special hardware support to operate...

Jaz

Edited by Jazman

Yes, Hyper-V is included but you must install it as a role/feature. Bring up the server manager from administrative tools, and then in the server manager  dashboard - Configure this local server, item 2 is add roles and features. Hyper-V is under the roles and features here.

And now you're no longer a 1-post wonder...

Which of course does beg the question of 'what's the point in doing this?'

Replication between HyperV servers. Or portability. It's much easier to move a VM, then it is to move the drives and hope it works on a different machine. Which is the entire point.

This is for home, but I do make an effort to be compliant for stuff I actually use.  Yes, technically, I will occasionally violate licensing rules when I'm trying something out or just using it for a short period.  So much of licensing is a bunch of BS and slanted to the developer (ie: you don't "own" this and if it doesn't work for what you paid for it, tough... we're keeping your money).  But, if it's truly something I intend to use, then I make sure I have a valid license.  I want to support developers and companies whose product I actually use.

BUT, the original reason for the question is because I do want the ability to create and run VMs.  I do want my actual server to run on the raw hardware but have it able to host VMs.  I have no interest in running Essentials AS a VM.  At the office, we use VMWare, but that seems to not be very popular around here.  So, Hyper-V looks to be very popular... I'm guessing because it's "free" as part of Server.  But, only the higher end versions I guess.

EDIT:  Also, from my standpoint, Virtual Box looks appealing since it's free.  It may not be as high end as Hyper V, but I don't need a bunch of advanced features.  It's also appealing since it doesn't require special hardware support to operate...

Jaz

If you want to run VMs,  then I'd recommend ESXi or HyperV Server 2012R2. Both are "bare metal hypervisors", free, and capable of running just about any VM.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dn205299.aspx

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you can't do this, it's just that you're not supposed to (but that doesn't stop a lot of people).

The other Caveat is that you absolutely need a dedicated NIC for HyperV. If you share a hyperV NIC with RRAS (which is enabled as part of Anywhere Access website) it will cause VMs to take hours to shutdown. It's a known issue, but never fixed because it's not a supported scenario...

I currently run VMWare Workstation 10 under WSE12 with a dedicated NIC and it is working well. Would like to eventually move to WSE12 R2 Hyper-V later down the road after it becomes a bit more polished.

Question is it possible to run a WSE12 Hyper-V guest VM on WSE12R2? This would be a workaround for one client to do client backups to the VM. I've not found another app as convenient for bare metal backup/restore.

I currently run VMWare Workstation 10 under WSE12 with a dedicated NIC and it is working well. Would like to eventually move to WSE12 R2 Hyper-V later down the road after it becomes a bit more polished.

Do you mean the WS2012R2E license, with the virtual instance, as I've outlined above? 

If so, then yes, HyperV in 2012R2 is very polished (a lot more support, including UEFI VMs).

Question is it possible to run a WSE12 Hyper-V guest VM on WSE12R2? This would be a workaround for one client to do client backups to the VM. I've not found another app as convenient for bare metal backup/restore.

Possible, definitely. Licensing? Doubtful.

And I'm not sure what you mean for the backup bit? Neither version is cabable (read allowed) to backup server operating systems.