RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I had no idea you could not install the home server client on Windows 7 basic

TimothyWMurray

I just got a netbook. I waited until HP had a netbook with Windows seven because I'm planning to get rid of everything not seven in my house. But I can not install the WHS client on the netbook. I don't really need to back data, but I would like to have the console.

I was so happy I used a $299.00 HP coupon on a netbook that I got as an incentive to sign up for FiOS. Now I'm annoyed. And I feel cheated because I was sure WHS supported "all versions" of windows.

Hi Timothy. I'm confused here. Every system in my house is on Win7 and all are running the Windows Home Server client. Did you have an install failure or just get some bad info? WHS most certainly supports Win7.

Dave

Reading further now...BASIC? I missed that at first. I have not tried to install the connector on a basic setup. Anybody else?

I didn't know this already, but I'm not surprised... Windows 7 Basic is plain, plain, plain, Jane. MS' attempt to compete with Linux.

On a seperate note, after upgrading my Desktop to Windows 7 Home Premium from Vista Ultimate, my WHS console shows it as Windows Vista Home Premium and says Remote Access is "Not supported on this operating system". Is that for real? Is there a way around that with spending $100+ to upgrade to W7 Ultimate?

Andrew Edney found the solution,

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2009/11/14/another-good-reason-to-install-windows-home-server-power-pack-3-beta-now/comment-page-1/#comment-12166

You have to install Power Pack 3, I knew there was something about adjusting the Console for a smaller screen on netbooks, but not a clue about not being able to install the Connector on a PC running Windows 7 BASIC.

Thanks Andrew Edney,

John.

• 2 months later...