RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Internet Access via PC, DNS issues

souar

Hey all,

Been running my server at home for little under a year and moved it to uni with me in August. All was running fine, I accepted that remote access while in halls (dorms if you're american I think?) isn't accessible since the internet is managed by the university and delivered to us in our rooms via a cisco IP phone which acts as a router as well but my server shared its internet connection through LAN from my PC which is in turn connected to the phone just fine.

However of late it will no longer connect to the internet. After bootup or even just RD login it gives me limit connectivity with the alert viewer stating that the dynamic DNS cannot be updated. The odd part is the network icon and network and sharing center will state that internet access has been achieved after about ten minutes but I can't do anything outside of accessing the local network still. This is where I get stuck, got some knowledge of networking but what I can't figure out is: 

a) Why all of a sudden this has stopped working

B) Which point in the network the issue is originating from; the IP phone/Router, PC or server (I was thinking PC most likely?) and

c) Logically therefore got no idea where to start

Its not the most exciting of questions and sure its a simple fix but I was hoping some of you might of had this before or know of a guide or can help me out.

Been reading through a fair bit on this site on and off for a while and you guys come up with some really useful info and interesting discussions! 

Thanks

Just to be clear, are you saying that your internet connection goes through the Cisco IP phone/router? And that phone/router is under university control? If so, I would look to that first. Check with the university's people who provide the internet service and see if they've changed anything recently.

The Cisco phones have two ethernet ports on them, one plugs into the wall and can pass-through the network to the second port, bit like a two-port switch really.

Souar, can you describe exactly how you have your machines set-up, I'm a bit confused about the PC connectivity, especially when you say the server shared it's internet connection from the PC - do you have multiple network cards in either of the computers?

John

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry about the confusion, wrote it in a bit of a rush, here's a clearer explanation.

Wall Ethernet goes into the Cisco IP Phone

PC mobo lan port connects to the phone

PC NIC connects to the server

The pc runs two networks, the one from the phone providing it with internet and then the second from the NIC to the server. I have ICS turned on, on the network between the phone and the PC which in turn provides the network between the PC and the server with an internet connection. The server however no longer connects to the internet due to the DNS issue, the PC connection is fine though.

I hope that's clearer, if there's any other information I can provide to help please let me know more than happy to do so. Appreciate the help.

I'm not sure I've ever run into anyone who actually is using ICS :) Interesting.

Seriously though, I have to wonder why you didn't just set up a small switch, connect it to the phone and connect the server and PC to the switch?

As ikon says - get a switch and just hook both the PC and server to it with the uplink connected to the phone's ethernet port.

ICS is going to play havoc with a server set up.

John