RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Jazman

As of today, Drive Pool (StableBit) or Drive Bender

revengineer

Not sure how you came up with those "facts"? Drivebender is well supported ; support requests are typically answered within 24 hours. we are also heavily beta testing v2; we are very close but a few issues remain to be resolved. Pooled was recently acquired by Drivebender and is supported as well.

Drashna Jaelre

What he said.

Though, it does seem there has been a lot of focus on the beta side of things, understandably.

dsteinschneider

I was just thinking the other day that I should post about how well Scanner and DrivePool have been working for us. The server is a 2005 Dell OptiPlex GX620 small form factor (Pentium D 3.4 with 4GB) hand me down. There are two Rosewill SiL 3132 sata adapters, one is PCIe, the other PCI. The PCIe board is connected to a 4 bay Mediasonic Probox HF2-SU3S2, the PCI board is connected to 4 Rosewill SATA docks, the drives are unfortunately 3TB WD Greens, I have done the firmware fix so they don't park the heads constantly but before I figured that out one of them died at the 400K park count. Occasionally I get a Scanner email from bitflock about one of the other drives that has 350K but it keeps chugging along. I would never rely on WHS 2011 without the StableBit products to store our movies, TV shows, home video, photos and music. When one of the greens died I simply removed it from the pool, replaced the drive and added it back to the pool. I hooked a killawatt up to the system (docks and computer), it draws 60 watts at idle which I think is OK. I only rate performance by file copy speed (40-60 MB/s) and the fact we can play mounted bluray iso's smoothly across the network. We don't use any WHS2011 features except storage and workstation backup. This setup has been in place for almost three years.

Edited by dsteinschneider
  • Like 2

jagowar

I am going through this myself....  Had drivebender and the new version is nice but I am thinking that moving to drivepool + scanner is the best way to go forward.  Just seems to be the better solution these days.

• Like 1

dsteinschneider

I've been impressed with the developer's communication and development skills. He really knows hard drive tech. I've done infrastructure support for years but learned a few things from deploying Scanner.

Edited by dsteinschneider
  • Like 1