RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Jazman

As of today, Drive Pool (StableBit) or Drive Bender

Jazman

While it's a huge subject and not directly on topic, I will be building a new server to start coming off of v1.

I don't really want to RAID (lets not get off topic and try and convince me to do RAID please).  I love Drive Extender and wish it hadn't gone away.

So, for someone who is looking at either v2 (ie: 2011) or Essentials, which of these 2 looks to be the better solution.  It looks like Drive Bender is on sale right now as they have a new version coming out.  But, at quick glance, it looks like those features are really to "catch up" to the latest version of Drive Pool.

Follow up:  If I decide to go Drive Pool, how does everyone like the Scanner?  Does it work?

Thanks in advance,
Jaz

Dave

Huge topic and it's on my list to do another show on this.  Maybe I should move it up in rotation?

• Like 1

Technogod

I love StableBit DrivePool. I stopped using StableBit Scanner because it was causing problems with my system. I think the problem is caused by my hardware configuration and StableBit Scanner. You shouldn't have any problems running StableBit Scanner. I have two CineRAID 4 Bay enclosures that wreak havoc on my system when I enable StableBit Scanner.

ikon

I, too, ran into issues trying to run Scanner on my WHS2011. From what I've been able to track down, there were compatibility issues with both my 3ware 9650SE-4LPML driver and  the Renesas USB3 driver. I did run v1.x on my WHSv1 setup and it ran fine, although it did seem to lock up once in a long while. If it runs on your setup, I think it's a very good thing to have.

revengineer

I cannot run the latest scanner version on my server, but the next older version works fine. Btw, I use it in combination with Drivebender, which was the only drive extender available for 2012. So in a sense it's drivepool that has been catching up. But I have licenses for both. Both work.

awraynor

I used both and they function well. I think the interface of DrivePool is better and it works very well for me.

Going to migrate my desktop off of Storage Spaces to DrivePool.

Joe_Miner

I admit I'm a Stablebit fanboy and love DrivePool & Scanner on my WHS-2011.  Just over a week ago it (Scanner) caught another failing HDD that I was able to move out in a relaxed pace (when I had the spare time a few days later) and replace.  NICE!  It was also calming knowing that my data was in NTFS format and could be recovered off of individual drives if a major disaster struck.  

If you're running DrivePool you should really be running Scanner too. IMHO.

BTW, I've heard a lot of good things about DriveBender but I have no reason to switch.  I think it's a case of whatever you happen to start out with and have good luck with.  (I became a fan of Scanner on V1 so when I moved to WHS2011 I naturally tried Scanner and Drivepool on it and loved it)

awraynor

Scanner threw a load cycle count error on a green drive. i asked WD and their response was they can't comment on the results of 3rd party products.

Drashna Jaelre

I'm biased, I really do love StableBit DrivePool (and Scanner). But I was recommending the crap out of both before I started working there. :)

Also, for moving from v1's Drive Extender to DrivePool:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5463715

I cannot run the latest scanner version on my server, but the next older version works fine. Btw, I use it in combination with Drivebender, which was the only drive extender available for 2012. So in a sense it's drivepool that has been catching up. But I have licenses for both. Both work.

Have you contacted us about that? (and by us, I mean StableBit support)

Also, the newer beta versions have a lot of significant changes (such as hard coded to ignore DriveBender's pool), so that may work better.

WHS2011 (or anything with a dashboard): http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWhs2/beta/download/

Generic Windows: http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/ (Grab the EXE installer)

Newest at the bottom. 

I love StableBit DrivePool. I stopped using StableBit Scanner because it was causing problems with my system. I think the problem is caused by my hardware configuration and StableBit Scanner. You shouldn't have any problems running StableBit Scanner. I have two CineRAID 4 Bay enclosures that wreak havoc on my system when I enable StableBit Scanner.

I do beleive you did contact us about that issue. I think. If you haven't... 

That, and above, updated beta builds 

I, too, ran into issues trying to run Scanner on my WHS2011. From what I've been able to track down, there were compatibility issues with both my 3ware 9650SE-4LPML driver and  the Renesas USB3 driver. I did run v1.x on my WHSv1 setup and it ran fine, although it did seem to lock up once in a long while. If it runs on your setup, I think it's a very good thing to have.

Yeah, you discussed that with me, and it is a very weird issue. And reminds me that I need to make sure to mention that to Alex

Scanner threw a load cycle count error on a green drive. i asked WD and their response was they can't comment on the results of 3rd party products.

And doesn't the data lifeguard tools report similar things too? Specifically SMART errors.

Also, Alex uses the manufacturer thresholds for the errors. So if the LCC is giving an error, that's because it's left WD's spec for that model of drive.... and the "can't comment" is probably because they don't want to admit that their tool outright ignores teh setting, because the Greens (and seagate LP's) are inferior quality drives....

• Like 1

awraynor

Drashna. I'm sure you are correct on all counts, they just won't admit it.