RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HBA support on MS Gen8 -- y/n?

hsw

I have a Gen8 Microserver I'm overall fairly disappointed with, and need to add an external SAS cage (or failing that, some cheap e-SATA multiplier deal; hopefully to be avoided after the $$$ I've just sunk into HP's wares). If I bought and installed one of the newer Smart Array HBA cards, specifically the H222 (650926-B21), would it be recognized/tolerated by ILO? I plan to leave the obnoxious on-board controller in RAID Mode and connect something unimportant to the internal SATA, so as to mitigate the loud fan noise. I won't buy a P222 at the current price and due to ILO's sensitivities I'm not considering the older-gen adapters.

HP's official compatibility table shows only the P222 & no applicable HBAs & nothing else, so you know how that is. However the support kb contains scattered articles regarding this very point, i.e. methods to get an H22x adapter visible either through HP firmware or the OS management agents. I googled up and down and seems no one's posted trying it before (HBA in Microserver) so before I order for one, has anyone done this? Thanks in advance since no support would mean I'll need a backup plan (such as getting rid of the Microserver).

The P222 is fully recognized by iLo. The P222 and the B120i work together fine. 

I have tried the P212 and P410 in the Gen 8. They worked fine with WHS 2011 and WS2012E, but iLo did not see them.

What OS are you planning to run?

If you are concerned about event alerts or reporting, HP SIM works as long as you are using a supported OS and hardware;

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/server-software/product-detail.html?oid=489496#!tab=features

I have not tried a Gen 8 with a P212 and SIM.

Or you could go this route;

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6167-hp-smart-array-with-hp-events-notification-service-and-prtg-network-monitor/

schoondoggy: Saw your test w/ the P212 adapter, which I read with interest given its relatively low price in the U.S.; sans cache it is still fewer $$$ than most non-RAID HBA controllers with external mini connectors. I realize that the HP firmware/ILO doesn't detect it -- but we can live without the ILO-sourced alerts, as long as adding an unrecognized card won't result in constant overdriven fan noise (upper 30%s range). We'd tether a hot-swap drive cage, with its own fans & LEDs, etc., off the back while leaving a single disk -- likely an SSD for OS and/or other administrative purpose -- inside the Microserver connected to on-board B120i controller in "RAID mode;" thus whatever add-in controller gets used need not have an internal SFF port, for our peculiar circumstances at least.

What OS are you planning to run?

If you are concerned about event alerts or reporting, HP SIM works as long as you are using a supported OS and hardware;

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/server-software/product-detail.html?oid=489496#!tab=features

Ultimately some current edition of Windows, once we decide which license. Initially I'd set up ESXi 5.5/vSphere for (I thought) ease of administration but the customer had a different view. Selecting an add-on SAS controller supported natively in both host environments would be great of course; however, having the USB 3.0 ports active in a Windows box sounded nice too.

Edited by hsw

An unrecognised card will cause loud fan noise. That was what caused me to upgrade (or is it a downgrade?) from P410 to P222.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If I remember correctly, any non-supported card causes the fans to speed up. Even if you are using the B120i.

So everyone using the M1015 are at 19/36% fan speeds ?