RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Ncage1974

Remote Administration ( Free LGMI is dead)

Drashna Jaelre

I honestly don't know the answer to that question, but I suspect Drashna does.

I .... might. :P

This is exactly how I do it. If you setup RDP to use your Anywhere Access address as a Gateway, does this mean that BOTH your RDP credentials as well as the RDP session are completely encrypted using the HTTPS SSL certificate?

YES. Specifically, the feature/role you are using is called "Remote Desktop Gateway". It requires an SSL certificate, just like your website does (the same one, in fact). And everything is done over HTTPS. If you've noticed me asking about this when troubleshooting remote access and VPN. This is why. That, and Server 2012 Essentials uses "SSTP VNP", which uses port 443/HTTPS as well. 

So yes, when using the RDP Gateway, everything, from start to finish is encrypted using your HTTPS/IIS certificate.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560672(v=WS.10).aspx

• Like 1

Jason

Thanks Drashna for verifying. Good to know. I use Remote Desktop Gateway to RDP into my WSE12 box via my iPad and work laptop. Glad it's fully encrypted. That way I don't have to start a VPN connection and then RDP over it. Saves time.

Drashna Jaelre

And it saves overhead too. :)

And yeah, it's so very nice. And it's used in enterprise deployments like this too. Such a great feature.

I also use the RDP Gateway for work. Specifically, I have VM that is always running that is dedicated for my CoveCube related work. I remote into from home, and if I'm away from home. So I depend on it, and am very happy with it. :)

• Like 1

Jason

And it saves overhead too. :)

And yeah, it's so very nice. And it's used in enterprise deployments like this too. Such a great feature.

I also use the RDP Gateway for work. Specifically, I have VM that is always running that is dedicated for my CoveCube related work. I remote into from home, and if I'm away from home. So I depend on it, and am very happy with it. :)

It's been a while, but even when RDP'ing into my network clients via my *.remotewebaccess.com gateway, I don't notice any specific icons that would indicate SSL encryption is active.  Is there anywhere you can look to validate this?  For example you get a lock icon when HTTPS active and can view certificate info with IE or Firefox, etc.  Thanks.

Drashna Jaelre

No, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be "documenated" by the client.

The best I can find (other than on wikipedia) is this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560672(v=ws.10).aspx

The end of the first paragraph outlines it though:

RD Gateway uses the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) over HTTPS to establish a secure, encrypted connection between remote users on the Internet and internal network resources.
Edited by Drashna (WGS)