RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Ncage1974

Remote Administration ( Free LGMI is dead)

ikon

Drashna, with RD Gateway, I guess you can't use any port except 443, can you? Does it allow for alternate port #s?

tojoski

I have been using Logmein free for years for a few of my business clients.. so I can't really complain that they want to get paid... but this short of a notice is crazy..

It looks like we are going to be buying the $1500 Teamviewer package.

Ncage1974

I have been using Logmein free for years for a few of my business clients.. so I can't really complain that they want to get paid... but this short of a notice is crazy..

I agree but unfortunately the pricing is for business and not for individuals (unless maybe that's where you make your money).

Ncage1974

Use WHS2011, SBS2011E, WSS2008R2E, WS2012E or WS2012R2E.  All of these products features Remote Desktop Gateway as part of their core functionality. This does RDP via an encrypted and secure channel, and over HTTPS (port 443).  This is secure, and safe (well, as safe as your SSL cert is).

This is also my solution for remote access.

Thanks before this i didn't even know what RDP Gateway was. I was just going to open the RDP Port (Forgot the port number) in my router which would probably be bad. Definitely going to investigate

Well guys i think you were right TeamViewer i think is going to meet my needs. I looked into the RDP gateway and i'm sure i could figure it out if i had the time but i couldn't find a good/recent tutorial how to set it up. TeamViewer might actually be better than LogMeIn considering it bundles a VPN (but i haven't tried it out yet). 

Drashna Jaelre

NCage, if you have any of the OS's that I listed, it's built in. Part of the Remote/Anywhere Access website. Setting that up configures everything you need to run it. That's part of why I love these OS's.

But yes, TeamViewer works as well.

As for setting up RDGateway (which requires a server OS, and a SSL cert which can be self-signed):

http://sengstar2005.hubpages.com/hub/What-is-Remote-Desktop-Gateway-and-how-to-install

Ncage1974

NCage, if you have any of the OS's that I listed, it's built in. Part of the Remote/Anywhere Access website. Setting that up configures everything you need to run it. That's part of why I love these OS's.

But yes, TeamViewer works as well.

As for setting up RDGateway (which requires a server OS, and a SSL cert which can be self-signed):

http://sengstar2005.hubpages.com/hub/What-is-Remote-Desktop-Gateway-and-how-to-install

Thanks Drashna i'll check it out. I have a question for those that have used teamviewers vpn. Unfortunately, it creates the teamviewer as a "Public Network". Not quite sure how to change it to a "private network" and i think thats whats messing me up. When i vpn to a machine in my network i can browse the files on that specific machine but i can't see any files on any more machines in my internal network. Hopefully this doesn't mean i have to vpn specifically to the machine i want to access.

schoondoggy

Teamviewer will also remote control many tablets;

We have updated our TeamViewer QuickSupport app for Lenovo, Asus and Caterpillar mobile devices:http://www.teamviewer.com/download/mobile.aspx

Features include: 
- Remote Control for the following devices: Samsung, Sony, Alcatel One Touch / TCL, Lenovo, Asus (for business customers only), Caterpillar / CAT® B15, Prestigio, Archos, Unitech, ODYS and others.
- Full access to device settings: Technicians can access and configure remote devices. This includes connectivity settings such as setting up Wi-Fi. Technicians can also see all running processes in a clear and easy-to-use dashboard and stop them if needed.
- File transfer
- Chat option
- Real-time screenshots
- System logs
- Secure connection

ImTheTypeOfGuy

...and thus the reason they are now charging. Well, you and the millions of other people doing it.

• Like 2

Jason

It's not true that you can only RDP into 1 computer and would then have to RDP from that computer. All you have to do is use different port numbers for each computer you want to RDP into.

The way I do it is I have port forwarding entries in my router, one for each computer I want to RDP into. Each of the entries forwards the packets from a specific port to port 3389 on the intended destination computer. For example, from the Internet I might tell RDP to connect to <12345>

ikon

I honestly don't know the answer to that question, but I suspect Drashna does.