RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Ncage1974

Remote Administration ( Free LGMI is dead)

Ncage1974

I'm sure quite a few people here use LGMI free. Well i got an email this morning that they will be killing this off. I was kind of peeved when they killed of free himachi but i paid for it because how useful it is and i was still happy LGMI was free at the time. I will not be continuing my support of the company and as soon as my himachi subscription is due i won't be renewing. I believe they are giving us a 7 day notice (as soon as you log in) which i haven't done yet. Wow how about 30-60 day notice? They have a special (if you call it that) where you can get two computers for $50 a year. Hate to see what the "non-special" price is. I support a bunch of family members and would need more than 2 computer. It would be way to expensive.

Anyways, what alternatives are there? I want something that doesn't requite client authorization. I thought teamviewer required client authorization but i've seen some post from some people who says it doesn't. Have about all the VNCs (Ultra, Real, Tight, ect...)? I heard long ago that you shouldn't open up RDP to the internet. Is this still the case since they have hardened down RDP in the recent iterations of the OS? The big disadvantage of RDP would be you could only get to one machine on an internal network and then you would have to RDP from there. 

schoondoggy

Teamviewer is free for personal use. You can set up computers for unattended access. It also supports WOL and two factor authentication.

ikon

It's not true that you can only RDP into 1 computer and would then have to RDP from that computer. All you have to do is use different port numbers for each computer you want to RDP into.

The way I do it is I have port forwarding entries in my router, one for each computer I want to RDP into. Each of the entries forwards the packets from a specific port to port 3389 on the intended destination computer. For example, from the Internet I might tell RDP to connect to <mydomain:12345> which would connect to my router on port 12345. An entry in my router's Forwarding Table would redirect packets on port 12345 to port 3389 on 192.168.1.75. This way I don't have to mess with the default RDP ports on the various computers.

Renny

Yep, Teamviewer here too. Simple to install and setup and works fine.

Ncage1974

It's not true that you can only RDP into 1 computer and would then have to RDP from that computer. All you have to do is use different port numbers for each computer you want to RDP into.

The way I do it is I have port forwarding entries in my router, one for each computer I want to RDP into. Each of the entries forwards the packets from a specific port to port 3389 on the intended destination computer. For example, from the Internet I might tell RDP to connect to <mydomain:12345> which would connect to my router on port 12345. An entry in my router's Forwarding Table would redirect packets on port 12345 to port 3389 on 192.168.1.75. This way I don't have to mess with the default RDP ports on the various computers.

I stand corrected. Is it still considered bad to open RDP up to the open internet though? Otherwise i'll start with teamviewer.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Teamviewer will solve your problems. Well your remote access ones.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

brianmullins

Am I reading it correctly that TeamViewer only allows 2 computers unless you go up to the business plan? 

Drashna Jaelre

I stand corrected. Is it still considered bad to open RDP up to the open internet though? Otherwise i'll start with teamviewer.

Use WHS2011, SBS2011E, WSS2008R2E, WS2012E or WS2012R2E.  All of these products features Remote Desktop Gateway as part of their core functionality. This does RDP via an encrypted and secure channel, and over HTTPS (port 443).  This is secure, and safe (well, as safe as your SSL cert is).

This is also my solution for remote access.

schoondoggy

Am I reading it correctly that TeamViewer only allows 2 computers unless you go up to the business plan? 

I am on a personal plan with 8 computers, 2 windows tablets, 4 android tablets, a Surface RT and a Windows Phone.

Dragon_Void

The issue with Teamviewer is, if you run Windows Server, it will eventually pick it up as "Commercial use", and you will have to buy a license. I found an alternative though. If you are using Windows server, why not just enable the VPN, and connect to the systems via RDP? It will run smoother than any Teamviewer connection. The alternative is to set up an OpenVPN VPN.

Edited by Dragon_Void
  • Like 1