RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Iphone Customers

easypc

The New iphone is just around the corner will the new data plans from AT&T stop you from buying the phone if you are a new customer? Would you wait for new windows 7 phones?

I dont know if I should buy the new iphone with the new data prices.

Not really happy with AT&T right now. I think they simply oversold their data network. I have a 6.5 phone now, and will either jump to Android or Windows Phone (7) sometime next year.

I don"t think it is much of an issue on the iPhone but the iPad is a different story.

I think the iPhone is the cause of the "oversold" network. I would be willing to bet it would have had the same effect on any carrier. I'll probably be in line for two when they release. That is unless something major catches my eye until then.
I really want the ability to tether and with the recent announcement of data changes that looks like it will be a possibility with the new iPhone. I hope so anyway.

I just released Show 93 and promised everybody that I would direct "most" of the Apple talk over to http://addingapple.com Post this over there and get some conversations going!

I remember chating up a guy that showed me his POS terminal for processing credit cards. It used AT&Ts 3G network. That prompted me to read an interesting report that stated AT&T's data network woes are due mostly to the backhaul and not the phone's connectivity to the tower.

It makes me believe that AT&T has more fundamental problems with their network besides just selling too many iPhones with unlimited data plans.

Does anyone think that the new data tiers will help discourage people from running tethering apps on their phones?

I've been an iPhone user for 2 years now. In general, I really hate Apple due to the way they control every aspect of the way you use their products. I bought it, I should be able to use it however I want.

That said, when I was looking a couple years ago, the plain and simple fact was that NOONE had anything that could compete with the iPhone. This was more than 1 year after the launch of the original iPhone.

Today, we're about 3 years past the launch of the first iPhone and only in the last 6 months or so has anyone made something that could really compete with the iPhone. BUT, we do finally have devices that do give it a run.

If I was looking for a new phone today, I would almost certainly choose something other than the iPhone. The data plan from AT&T pretty much seals the deal for me. Even after 3 years, they can't seem to adapt to the demand. In addition, they are REQUIRING you to have a data plan on any smart phone... regardless of where you got it or whether you even want data on it or not. If they are having such a data crisis, why require the plan? Of course, it's for the money. Yes sir, give us your $$$ and we'll give you crap in return. Don't even get me started on their "unlimited" plan... still advertised as such, that has a 5Gb cap. Yea, that's unlimited. However, in their favor, at least we have some degree of service in my part of the country.

Keith