RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jackbauer

Thinking of moving from Synology NAS to HP microserver

jackbauer

Hi All

Current setup

I currently have a synology nas 213 with 2x3tb seagate drives. I use it primarily as a media server connected to my tv via wdtv live player. I access the nas to stream media and download torrents and nab files. I can download via iOS apps to send torrents to download automatically on the nas.

What I would like

Space is running out on the nas, so either way I'm looking at upgrading to a 4 bay machine. (I'm a hoarder!) Furthermore as part of my nzb downloads the nas needs to repair par2 files and unpack them. However the nas takes over 24 hours to unpack a 50gb nzb. I hear a hp with 16gb ram would make this job a lot quicker. Lastly Im looking to add a bluray burner so i can burn my nzbs to bluray disc

I need to have the ability to remote onto the server via my iPhone and to make this even more complicated I only have a macbook pro to work with

In a nutshell is any of the above possible? Has anyone got a similar setup? How much would this cost? I look at this as an investment so am willing to go above budget.

Thanks

PS sorry if I have submitted on the wrong forum but i cannot find an idiots guide to micro servers (i am very new to all this)

canuckcam

You can install any OS you want and do whatever you want that the OS allows. So on my Gen8 with VMWare ESXi 5.5 and a Windows Server 2012 partition, I use the built-in Windows RDP from my Mac. Works flawlessly. If you have a PC, you can use the VMWare console for remote desktop as well.

I have no idea what nzb downloads are, but I'd suggest an external Bluray burner hooked onto the USB3.0 ports and use the optical drive bay for boot drive instead so that leaves you with 4 free HD bays.

Drashna Jaelre

Well, WHS2011 supports Macs, as does Server 2012 Essentials and Server 2012R2 Essentials.

And these support remote desktop (and I know Mac/iOS has a client or two).

And as for NZBs, sabNZBd can run as a service on WHS/Server 2012 (which means without logging in). And is accessible straight from the web. It also can store all the previously downloaded nzb files (the actual files) so you don't download duplicates.

I'd recommend the Gen8 microservers, because they're awesome. Which then comes to this: do you need more power, or more energy efficent? If you need more power, get the higher end CPUs. If not, get the celeron.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859108028

And there is a good thread of Gen8 related links: 

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/

TimeOut

Since the Microserver Gen8 comes with iLO4, you can use the HP iLO Mobile App to manage your server remotely but, you're going to need to buy the iLO license to be able to use Remote Console.

cskenney

You mentioned you had a Synology 213.  Any chance it has a USB3 port?  You could expand you storage on that box with an external box.  Just another idea for more storage.

The tradeoff is it wouldn't help you with the nzb unpacking time though.

jackbauer

Hi All

Thanks for the responses, I have a few questions.

How easy is it to order and build a gen8? Inc cost?

Would I be able to install a bluray burner and it's accompanied software into the gen8? Ideally I would want everything in one box.

With regards to par2 and unpacking, what would make the biggest difference? More ram or a faster processer?

I only wish to use this as a media server so am looking at jbod rather than any raid configuration.

What is the maximum hard drive capacity I could fit into the gen8? Would it be 4x4tb drives?

Thanks

Hi

One other point, I am a UK resident so any UK offers would be appreciated.

Thanks

ikon

Yes 4x4TB drives would be the most storage you could get. In that case I would recommend connecting another, smaller drive for the OS.

jackbauer

Hi

Thanks for the reply, so just so I'm clear, I can do the following:

Install a bluray burner into the gen8

install 4x4tb drives

can i install the os onto one of the drives? not really keen on having storage connected, prefer one box and thats it

thanks

schoondoggy

When you shop for a Blue Ray burner, it needs to be 9.5mm in height. 

jackbauer

Hi

Thanks, are you able to make any recommendations? Or should I just enter 9.5mm as my search criteria?