RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Back Up Keeps Failing

CablDeViL

I have a client that is using WHS to back up 3 laptops and 3 computers. Everything is working fine but all of the sudden one of the computers refuses to take a back up.

When I check the details of the failed backups I see "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup." it is only trying to back up the only hdd in this computer. There is 400 gig of free space on the computer and 2t free on the server.

I see this issue all over the net and I am trying to defrag the volume today and try to do a manual backup.

Anyone walk into this problem before and have some other ideas to try?

Bill

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• CablDeViL

• jmwills

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

yup. I know chkdsk is kind of a lame utility, but it is a place to start. If it doesn't work, then I personally would move onto SpinRite - it has fixed a ton of drives for me over the years. In fact, I never put any drive, new or old, into service without first SpinRiting it at level 4.

mrossco,

Haha, I guess I should have refreshed to see your post before I reposted the same link =)

Hey, great find guys. I'm going to remember this. I vaguely remember hearing something about VSS years ago but I have never done anything with it directly.

The funny thing is that the customer was using a seagate external hdd for backing up this computer and I am sure it came with a back up program. I bet I will find a extra VSS layer when I get over there tonight.

Funny thing is the back up worked the 1st 5 times it ran then failed for the last week.