RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP G7 Micro Server

Parkyerbike

Hello, I am after a bit of advice please.

I have just ordered a new server and wish to do the following, is this possible/recommend?

I would like to install ESX on the main HDD to run a number of different VM's, installing these on 2 Western Digital Green disks, but one one of these VM's, run FreeNAS using 2 WD Reds for the home shares etc

What do you reckon? Would this work OK?

Thanks in advance

Regards

My only comment is to be careful with how many VMs you have running on those green drives.  I never figured out my problems exactly (I just worked around them), but when I was using esxi with linux VMs, I had lots of problems. My drives were greens at first.  My linux VMs would lose their drives (errors that only reboots and disk checks could fix). I did not have this issue with Windows VMs running allongside. I narrowed the issue down to my drives not having enough I/O capacity to satisfy linux.  I had to change some parameters to allow for more wait time when accessing the drives.  I even added a black drive to the configuration.  That helped only a little.

All of these problems went away when I switched to Hyper-V Server instead of ESXi.  That was using the exact same hardware and VMs.

Those are my anecdotes.  Take them as such.

Thanks for the response, I'll be mainly running MS O/S's on the green, probably not up all of the time, just playing really to get up to speed with virtualisation etc. I just like the idea of FreeNAS in a VM to save on hardware so thought it would be a cool idea. I also subscribe to Private Internet Access and just found out that they do a server build based on Debian so may have that running also as a gateway (VPN) for all network devices that I need to run through it, Apple TV etc