RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Building a ESXi server

riahc3

Sorry for the dumb question but socket AFAIK means it can be changed.

And RAM like this right: http://www.ebay.com/itm/A5180167-A5185927-8GB-DDR3-1333MHz-1-35V-UDIMM-ECC-Memory-Dell-PowerEdge-R210-II-/320964661822?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item4abafc123e ?

Yes the cpu can be changed on the Gen 8.

I have two of these in my Gen 8; Hynix HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB

Read the links from JM above. There are lists of tested memory and CPU's.

Be aware that if you virtualise the disks of your server 2012 that it would be somewhat slow. I had a whs 2011 running as vm and had transfer rates of about 20-30mb/s only. What you can do is using passthrough, if supported by your hardware. I did passthrough all on board sata ports to whs, so it can use them exclusively and performance is back to about 100mb/s.

Passthrough has to be supported on CPU vx-d and on chipset right?

Yes the cpu can be changed on the Gen 8.

I have two of these in my Gen 8; Hynix HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB

Read the links from JM above. There are lists of tested memory and CPU's.

I see 200 dollars for these!

The RAM I use is  KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G that I got over a year ago on sale for ~$150 and used in my N40L's and N54L before trying in my Gen8.  Go to Newegg's site and read Just Checking's review.  Kingston has a higher performance version that works in the Gen8 also -- it's listed in the Gen8 links page.

Compatible CPU's as of today (more details at Gen8 links page):

gallery_1229_67_408009.jpg

In regard to the pass through, yes Motherboard (Chipset) and CPU needs to support it. But that was for myself the only way to get acceptable speed for the virtual WHS2011, even using a LSI 9260 didn't really give the needed performance, so I use that one only to house the VMs...Hyper V was much better once it comes to disk performance, but ESXI has more features and possibilities to tweak, at least when I tried it around a 18 months ago

• 1 month later...

After having some light experience with the Gen8, Im gonna go ahead and whitebox it DIY....

Might come out a bit more expensive but...

For now Im thinking

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O 178,20 € (not on the HCL)

Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2 179,78 €

another KTL-TS313E/8G (I already have one from the Gen8) 85,31 €

443.29 euros (for now)

Other than that, I pretty much got nothing. I need one small HDD as my system drive and a case that can hold at least 4 3.5" HDD besides that system drive.