RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Building a ESXi server

riahc3

Hello

Im looking to build my first home server. It will basically run

Windows Server 2012 R2 (my domain controller)

pfSense (my router)

The WS2012R2 will have StableBit DrivePool to setup some storage pools and divide 4 disks of 3TB into my personal space and two other family members so when they log on they will have their own personal space and will also load profiles, settings, etc from it. So in a sense, it will also act as a NAS to stream to them and to media device thru my home.

Ive seen people recommend to the HP Microservers would but would I get a better bang for buck with a DIY server?

Thank you

Either route, you need to become best friends with the vmware compatability guide;

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

BYOB gets you exactly what you want, but you need to do your research for compatability.

Paul has a lot of good info;

http://www.tinkertry.com/

Yeah, becides what I read here and other sites, Ill be sure to check with the compatability guide to make sure everything will work perfect with ESXi. Thank you.

Wow, so hard to decide between the Gen8 and a DIY....

The Gen8 has some virutalization features missing but a DIY comes out more expensive.

Wow, so hard to decide between the Gen8 and a DIY....

The Gen8 has some virutalization features missing but a DIY comes out more expensive.

If you are referring to CPU features, that is why so many are upgrading the CPU in the Gen8 to a XEON, but that adds cost as well.

If you are referring to CPU features, that is why so many are upgrading the CPU in the Gen8 to a XEON, but that adds cost as well.

Yes, I am referring to CPU features.

Ive seen talk about upgrading it. Is the CPU soldered or is it a simple buy another CPU and swap it like a normal PC?

Ive had similar doubts about RAM: Does it need to be HP certified? ECC or non ECC? Im reading from different places and its basically blowing my mind...

Ive read the FAQ on here but it doesnt clear much up :S

Be aware that if you virtualise the disks of your server 2012 that it would be somewhat slow. I had a whs 2011 running as vm and had transfer rates of about 20-30mb/s only. What you can do is using passthrough, if supported by your hardware. I did passthrough all on board sata ports to whs, so it can use them exclusively and performance is back to about 100mb/s.