RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

'New Build' with N40L HP Proliant Microserver

DLX34

Just looking for a little advice on what options I have.

In December I had a powercut which seemed to fry quite a few parts of my existing server (the N40L), most notably the network adapter. So I was thinking of rebuilding it into a better machine.

Seeing as I have the basic setup at present, I was wondering what my options are with motherboards, ram, network cards, etc etc. I quite enjoy a building project so dont mind starting from scratch, but im not too good on the compatability side of things when it comes to peripherals.

I currently have 4 different sized hard drives (2TB, 1TB, 750GB, 250GB), and am running WHS 2011 on it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Well I have the existing N40L and the hard drives mentioned, I was just wondering about upgrades or starting from scratch. If starting from scratch, i would still be using the 'shell' of the N40L box.

You could buy a used N40 or N54 cheaper than building anything.  There is an upgraded one here on the Buy Sell portion of the fours doe about $400 the best I remember.

Oh, I should have specified, im in the UK. I can buy a new one for about $300 here so, $400 plus shipping to over here isnt really an option haha.

I just thought I might be able to make a little project out of building new components into it but I guess ill shop around for a replacement motherboard and see where it leads. Thanks for the info.

The vga connection on my N40L started loosing signal because of the weight of the cable on the motherboard. poor design on HP. They ended up replacing my motherboard for free. They sent me a new board and labels to ship the broken one. No charge.

So you should be able to purchase the motherboard directly from HP. Might as well order a N54L motherboard.

Even though I wasnt asking for it, the first thing hp said to me on live chat when i was enquiring on upgrades was that i am not within warranty haha.

Thanks for that, do I need to swap out anything else (power supply?) in order to accommodate the n54l motherboard or will the current hardware be able to handle that?

I would never trust any PSU that had been a victim of a power glitch. I would replace it, and I would get a UPS for that server. I have UPS' on every computer in my house. To me, they are cheap protection.