RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Storage pools

Tfreeze

Hello... I am setting up a new install of WS2012 essentials r2 and have tested this in a virtual situation to test out how I would configure this for my home needs. Now that I am installing on an actual machine there is a difference in the storage management section. My drives show up under the volumes/disks, but nothing is showing up under the storage pools options... In fact on my virtual machine, the primordial pool shows up, but nothing is listed on the machine I am working on at the moment.

I click on tasks to create a new pool and the wizard starts but won't finish because there is not a primordial pool of disks to use. Simply... Is there a way to recreate/create this primordial pool that should be in the storage pools field?

I appreciate any guidance you can share.

Thank you

The performance of storage pools aside, I believe that the only drives that show up in the primordial pool are those that have free space available on them.  If all of your drives have partitions already allocated on them, then they won't show up in the pool.  If you're using the drives that you used in the virtual machine, then they probably have partitions or other usage already listed on them.

Hello... I am setting up a new install of WS2012 essentials r2 and have tested this in a virtual situation to test out how I would configure this for my home needs. Now that I am installing on an actual machine there is a difference in the storage management section. My drives show up under the volumes/disks, but nothing is showing up under the storage pools options... In fact on my virtual machine, the primordial pool shows up, but nothing is listed on the machine I am working on at the moment.

I click on tasks to create a new pool and the wizard starts but won't finish because there is not a primordial pool of disks to use. Simply... Is there a way to recreate/create this primordial pool that should be in the storage pools field?

I appreciate any guidance you can share.

Thank you

Hi Tfreeze!

For a drive to be available in the primordial pool it has to be UNALLOCATED.  

Check out:

And

Also check out these Blog Postings and the References linked in them:

http://homeservershow.com/creating-and-measuring-the-performance-of-a-storage-space-pool-in-windows-server-2012-essentials-r2-preview-part-2.html

http://homeservershow.com/creating-and-measuring-the-performance-of-a-storage-space-pool-in-windows-server-2012-essentials-r2-preview.html

http://homeservershow.com/storage-spaces-performance-in-windows-server-2012-essentials-on-a-hp-n40l-proliant-microserver.html

Edited by Joe_Miner