RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V Perf Problems?

Ncage1974

Hi everyone. Quick question on some perf issues i've had for quite some time. To be fair i was using esxi 5.x and had similar issues. My vm server is running a first gen intel core series cpu (i7-920) that is overclocked to 3.8ghz. Just so you don't have to look it up it has 4 cores (8 with hyper-threading) I have 3 vm running on this server. 2 of the VMs pretty much do next to nothing they are just there for when i need to do some testing (one has server 2012 R2 and the other has ubuntu). The main vm that i'm having issues with has Win 8.1 enterprise. I don't have a lot of things installed on it but i do have plex (when i want stream videos through my house). At least for 1 stream (never tried more) it works just fine. When i remote into the machine and run some things its so dang slow. For example a fresh install of google chrome will constantly use 50-60% of the cpu. Somtimes it will peg it. Its go so bad i know use firefox most of the time though a lot better the cpu usage for firefox is still not where it should be. Now i know chrome is turning into a hog but it shouldn't be that bad. I've had this problem for quite some time (with windows 8 too). I think i have two vCPU assigned to this VM, 2 to Server 2012, & 1 to Ubuntu but like i said they 2 of them hardly do anything. I have 4GB assigned to Win 8.1, 8GB to Server 2012, & 4GB to Ubuntu (the machine has 24GB Total). Any ideas? Is the I7-920 getting so old that i should have these issue?  I'd hate to upgrade and have the same issues.

Edit: I'm running Hyper-V on Server 2012 R2

What I'd try as a first instance is the following

You effectively have eight virtual cores to play around with, leave one for the host OS and dedicate four to the Windows 8.1 VM, that'll still leave three available the other VMs

Please tell me that the 8.1 install is 64-bit, allocate it more memory if so. Are you using dynamic RAM allocation (and if not why not?), try it with a minimum startup of 4GBytes and a maximum of 12 GBytes and see if that makes any difference.

John

Hi everyone. Quick question on some perf issues i've had for quite some time. To be fair i was using esxi 5.x and had similar issues. My vm server is running a first gen intel core series cpu (i7-920) that is overclocked to 3.8ghz. Just so you don't have to look it up it has 4 cores (8 with hyper-threading) I have 3 vm running on this server. 2 of the VMs pretty much do next to nothing they are just there for when i need to do some testing (one has server 2012 R2 and the other has ubuntu). The main vm that i'm having issues with has Win 8.1 enterprise. I don't have a lot of things installed on it but i do have plex (when i want stream videos through my house). At least for 1 stream (never tried more) it works just fine. When i remote into the machine and run some things its so dang slow. For example a fresh install of google chrome will constantly use 50-60% of the cpu. Somtimes it will peg it. Its go so bad i know use firefox most of the time though a lot better the cpu usage for firefox is still not where it should be. Now i know chrome is turning into a hog but it shouldn't be that bad. I've had this problem for quite some time (with windows 8 too). I think i have two vCPU assigned to this VM, 2 to Server 2012, & 1 to Ubuntu but like i said they 2 of them hardly do anything. I have 4GB assigned to Win 8.1, 8GB to Server 2012, & 4GB to Ubuntu (the machine has 24GB Total). Any ideas? Is the I7-920 getting so old that i should have these issue?  I'd hate to upgrade and have the same issues.

Edit: I'm running Hyper-V on Server 2012 R2

What I'd try as a first instance is the following

You effectively have eight virtual cores to play around with, leave one for the host OS and dedicate four to the Windows 8.1 VM, that'll still leave three available the other VMs

Please tell me that the 8.1 install is 64-bit, allocate it more memory if so. Are you using dynamic RAM allocation (and if not why not?), try it with a minimum startup of 4GBytes and a maximum of 12 GBytes and see if that makes any difference.

John

1) Unless you're seeing significant slow downs on the bare metal (i.e. Server 2012) desktop, it ain't your CPU. It is more than powerful enough, and supports virtualization.

2) I sort of disagree with the more memory solution. Granted, more memory is (almost) always better, and for a Plex server it might help, but 4GB is more than enough to run a Chrome instance. 

3) Also don't agree with the dynamic memory solution. If the problem really is lack of memory, and adding more memory to the VM *does* help, then only use dynamic if you don't have enough physical to allocate. There are still timing issues with dynamic memory allocation, even when you reserve a significant percentage.

My guess - hard drive speed the VMs are located on.

The other part is the virtual graphics card (unless you are using RemoteFX) is just slow. Using RDP is going to show delays. Using the actual terminal services will be much more responsive, but if you want to get good results from Chrome (or any other recent browser that uses GPU acceleration as well as CPU) you'll need to enable RemoteFX.

How do you enable Remote FX? Thought it required some special licensing server? Has anyone does this on their WSE12 box?

It's a bit older but here is a thread I made about it:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3229-remotefx/

There was no special licensing required. Note this was with 2008R2; SBSDiva on her blog has lamented the lack of good 2012 instructions (she even referenced the post here in her comments.) I don't imagine it would be significantly different for 2012 than 2008, but I'm still on 2008R2.

Actually, I do believe RemoteFX requires RDP CALs, as it's a subset of the Terminal Services/Remote Desktop feature.

If you're doing this at home, you can get away without them. But for business, double and triple check the requirements.

I recall seeing a timer in sys tray in a home environment. Must install RDP CALs or register with a CAL server else functionality expires.

Yeah I think it's 180 days for that timer. So a lot of time. 

Also, if you're server (the host) is also a DC... this just won't work.

Yeah I think it's 180 days for that timer. So a lot of time. 

Also, if you're server (the host) is also a DC... this just won't work.

True. I should be careful about blanket statements with licensing, given the home ("test") environment vs. real world and the changes from 2008 to 2012 or standalone vs. DC as well.

Hello everyone and again i have to apologize for the delayed response. I have been traveling a lot and just haven't had a lot of time lately. Anyways to answer some of the questions:

I am using dynamic memory. I don't think it was being overpressured though because it was using ~3.1GB out of the 4 i allocated to the vm. The guest is in fact running 8.1 64bit. I might try to up the cores & memory just to see what happens (before i install my new hardware) but i have ordered all new hardware:

i7-4771 & 32GB Memory. When i first put the system in i will use the existing hard drives to see if it was i/o problem but according to what i was seeing it doesn't appear it is. If its i/o related i have a 128GB SSD in the wing.