RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

iTunes and Media Center 7... WTF?!

BigSpenderNOT

OK, guys... anybody have a ton of music on their WHS and use iTunes as their main music manager on a client computer? If so, does everything show up kosher in Media Center 7 and/or Windows Media Player? For me, everything looks great in iTunes... tagged properly, album art, etc... BUT, in Media Center 7, a bunch of albums have no art work, they're split into two albums (more often than not, it's track one as an album and then all the rest of the tracks as another album) and then there are like 6600 songs that are "unknown"... really SUCKS!

What can I do without possibly going through all 36,000 songs album by album and re-tagging in the HOPES that that will even work?!

BSNOT, I had good luck with a software program called MusicBridge. The problem is that iTunes keeps most of that information locked away in its library rather than update the id3 tags on your mp3s. The downside is I only ever got this tool to run local, so I had to install iTunes on my Media Center (eek!) and then syncronize my iTunes library on my client PC to the one on my Media Center. Then I could use MusicBridge to keep everything in sync and use iTunes to manage my music library. Just make sure to disable WMP's ability to update your music tags automatically.

Ulimately, however, I decided that neither iTunes nor WMP (drives media center) were very good at managing my music. I have an extensive music collection of over 30,000 songs, many of which are somewhat obscure or are rips from my vinyl collection. I opted to turn off the automatic download features in both iTunes and WMP and used Media Monkey to embed album art and song metadata into the files themselves. Both iTunes and WMP read these pretty well, and I'm not strapped to a library of metadata that's separate from my music.

Hope this helps.

mrossco - will Media Monkey sort through my collection and alert me to which files are not tagged properly to ID3 standards? That sounds like an option I may have to look into.

Um, I'm not sure if it will simply alert you, but you can use it to overwrite both ID3 and ID3v2 tags. It also supports a few other tagging formats. I forgot to also mention Picard. Its free, so you don't get quite as many features, but it works well on large music collections. A lot of what's available out there caps out a few thousand songs before you start seeing some serious performance problems.

The problem is that iTunes doesn't add the meta data directly to the music files but stored them in separate files (to save space or something). Media Center focuses on the meta data IN the file and you need to add it since iTunes doens't do it. I can vouch for Media Monkey to fix the problem.

I have iTunes installed for my iPhone ONLY and do all of my media management with the Zune software.

iTunes seems to have a mind of its own when it tags files... some of my stuff seems to be tagged properly right away when import it through iTunes, but some seems not to be? Weird! I don't know, I used to really like iTunes, but now it just seems like crap. Too bad I like iPods/iPhones so much... damn you, Apple!

StLouisLux,

Did you have iTunes and zune installed on the same OS? I did that once and it blew up iTunes. I had to do a restore.

• 1 month later...

<p>OK, guys... anybody have a ton of music on their WHS and use iTunes as their main music manager on a client computer? If so, does everything show up kosher in Media Center 7 and/or Windows Media Player? For me, everything looks great in iTunes... tagged properly, album art, etc... BUT, in Media Center 7, a bunch of albums have no art work, they're split into two albums (more often than not, it's track one as an album and then all the rest of the tracks as another album) and then there are like 6600 songs that are "unknown"... really SUCKS!</p><p>What can I do without possibly going through all 36,000 songs album by album and re-tagging in the HOPES that that will even work?!</p>

I have my music on the my server and iTunes running on my computer. Once I had everything tagged using iTunes I have had no issues with Windows Media Center.