RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver Gen 8 P222 questions

neuranet

Hi

I have 4 3tb wd red drives in raid 5 and windows 2012 r2 sees the raid after I give it the b120i driver but it does not see any logical drives as bootable when I try to install it.

I apologise for the off topic but how are you booting into windows?

I have been really struggling.  I thought it was my p222 at fault? or am I using the wrong driver?

any help would be appreciated

Hi

I have 4 3tb wd red drives in raid 5 and windows 2012 r2 sees the raid after I give it the b120i driver but it does not see any logical drives as bootable when I try to install it.

I apologise for the off topic but how are you booting into windows?

I have been really struggling.  I thought it was my p222 at fault? or am I using the wrong driver?

any help would be appreciated

I assume you have 2012r2 running on a drive other than the RAID5? Something on the B120i?

If so, did you go into disk management and create a drive on the RAID5?

Did you follow the app notes and use the 2008R2 drivers for the B120i?

No I was trying to install the OS from the raid 5 from the internal drives linked to the P222. I am not sure how I can connect an ssd to the SAS connector? Where would I get the power for the drive?

Sorry I am quite new to this. I know this must sound simple :-(

I already have the dvd drive connected to the SATA connector..

Should I not be trying to use the RAID 5 hosted on the P222 then?

Sorry forgot to mention that during the initial install I did browse to a USB drive and tell it where the B120i driver which then allowed the windows 2012 R2 to see the RAID 5 array and logical drives but when I entered the license key in and tried to select the logical drive to install the OS on, each of them had a warning saying that they could not be used as they were not being marked as boot drives, even though I declared the logical drive to be the boot drive in the smart array interface and I made sure the P222 was the boot controller.

I used the 2008R2 B120i driver to see the P222 as I couldn't find a driver for this card and the B120i seemed to work. Is this the issue? If so can someone point me to the correct driver please.

No I was trying to install the OS from the raid 5 from the internal drives linked to the P222. I am not sure how I can connect an ssd to the SAS connector? Where would I get the power for the drive?

Sorry I am quite new to this. I know this must sound simple :-(

I already have the dvd drive connected to the SATA connector..

Should I not be trying to use the RAID 5 hosted on the P222 then?

You can get a break out cable to plug into the B120i;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-3Ware-CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M-SFF-8087-to-Discrete-Forward-Breakout-Cable-/320846906901?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item4ab3f74615

If you want RAID5 the P222 is the way to go.

I prefer to not put the OS in a large RAID5. I like to load the OS on a SSD or WD VR and mirror it RAID1. Then set up a large RAID5 for data.

Sorry forgot to mention that during the initial install I did browse to a USB drive and tell it where the B120i driver which then allowed the windows 2012 R2 to see the RAID 5 array and logical drives but when I entered the license key in and tried to select the logical drive to install the OS on, each of them had a warning saying that they could not be used as they were not being marked as boot drives, even though I declared the logical drive to be the boot drive in the smart array interface and I made sure the P222 was the boot controller.

I used the 2008R2 B120i driver to see the P222 as I couldn't find a driver for this card and the B120i seemed to work. Is this the issue? If so can someone point me to the correct driver please.

Here are the drivers for the P222

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=5194887&ac.admitted=1389682027017.876444892.199480143

I'm with schoondoggy about putting the OS on a RAID5. I did run that kind of setup for a while, decades ago, but not since. I feel it's just too risky. Operating System installations get corrupted from time to time and it's desirable to either restore them from an older backup or do a fresh install. That's a lot easier to do if the OS is on its own drive.

Thanks for all your help guys.

I have ordered an icybox for the odd slot and will install the OS on that. Then I will create a raid 5 using my 4 X 3tb WD reds on the p222

I am guessing if I do one big array with logical disk I will need to convert it to GPT in disk management before I can use it?

It will be about 8.1tb. Or is it worth Breaking it up do you think?

Since you're running Windows Server you will need to format the 8TB drive as GPT. You can break it up if you like, but most people leave it as 1 partition. BTW, this is another reason for not installing the OS on a large RAID volume -- you avoid issues with systems that can't boot GPT.

Very true, one drive it is. I want to really thank you guys for all your help on this, it has been very helpful and I hope I can help by helping others on this great board

Schoondoggy that weblink to the P222 drivers does not work.

do you have a local copy or another link I could use please