RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
steff

Boot fails from SD card (sometime, not always)

steff

Months ago I set up an HP MicroServer G8.

The system boot from a 32 GB microSD card brand new from Sandisk

Ubuntu 12.04.3

This is a GREAT DIY NAS for home and it is headless.

Unfortunately, sometimes, after issuing the WakeOnLan packet, that machine does not boot.

Looking at the console, I read:

---------------

attempting to boot from hard drive (c:)

non system disk or disk error

replace and strike... etc...and so on

---------------

the system reset and tries forever to boot, with no result

on the iLo log, I read:

----------------

Embedded Flash/SD-CARD: Failed restart..

----------------

then I power the server off, on again and it finally boot.

Any idea about the reason ?

ikon

My first thought is that you need to isolate whether this truly is an SD card issue, or if it's a WoL issue with the G8 MicroServer in general. I'm thinking it would be good to clone the SD card to a HDD and test with that for a while.

One of the reasons I suggest this is because I did some intensive work with WoL a couple of years ago and I found that it can be quite hit-and-miss, particularly with some computers.

schoondoggy

When the system does boot properly, how quickly does it boot?

steff

My first thought is that you need to isolate whether this truly is an SD card issue, or if it's a WoL issue with the G8 MicroServer in general. I'm thinking it would be good to clone the SD card to a HDD and test with that for a while.

One of the reasons I suggest this is because I did some intensive work with WoL a couple of years ago and I found that it can be quite hit-and-miss, particularly with some computers.

Since the MicroServer is far away my lounge, I usually use WoL to power it on, but this issue happens even pushing the power button on the MicroServer cage, so it is not related to WoL.

How to properly clone the microSD to a traditional HDD ?

Thanks

steff

When the system does boot properly, how quickly does it boot?

about 120 seconds, from sending the WoL packet or pushing the power on button to the Ubuntu up and running.

Of course most of this time is spent for the POST process and not for booting the OS itself.

Before installing Ubuntu on this Sandisk "Extreme Plus" (80 MB / s ) I used the old microSD pulled out from a 4 years old mobile phone and the boot process was very very long.

ikon

Sounds like something else is going on then if it doesn't boot properly even with the Power Button. Maybe it's something to do with the SD card or the card slot. Can you not do a backup of the OS to an HDD and then do a restore to another HDD? Are you thinking it won't work?

schoondoggy

about 120 seconds, from sending the WoL packet or pushing the power on button to the Ubuntu up and running.

Of course most of this time is spent for the POST process and not for booting the OS itself.

Before installing Ubuntu on this Sandisk "Extreme Plus" (80 MB / s ) I used the old microSD pulled out from a 4 years old mobile phone and the boot process was very very long.

Other than slow boot, did you have the same issues with the old SD card?

ikon

Excellent question. That was my other thought -- is there something about this particular SD card, part of the reason I suggested using a HDD for a while.

steff

Excellent question. That was my other thought -- is there something about this particular SD card, part of the reason I suggested using a HDD for a while.

Since during the boot some things happen quickly, I recorded the boot session thriugh the iLO console.

After the POST, I get this message on the iLO console:

------------

attempting to boot from USB Drive Key ( C: )

error: out of disk

error: no suitable mode found

-----------

then Ubuntu starts to be loaded

what "USB Drive Key ( C: )" means? C: ??? Is it MsDOS ??? Is the microSD card in the dedicated slot a kind of USB drive ?

schoondoggy

The micro SD card is on a USB port. It appears in the system as a USB drive.

What was the capacity of the older slower card? 

Did you have the issue with that card?