RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
edamiga1

Hyper-V 2012 R2 Hardware for home build. - recommendations?

Big Worm

Hell this thread is a year old.  Bigger drives now so you could go from 10 down to 5.  

Joe_Miner

OK - with 10 drives and state of art processor, he can forget my sub- $500 box for a small home lab ... :)

Well, there is the 15 drive N40L http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6796-modifications-for-a-15-drive-n40l/  or the 14 drive unraid MicroServer tower http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11585.msg218347#msg218347 

;)

Edited by Joe_Miner

ikon

Hell this thread is a year old.  Bigger drives now so you could go from 10 down to 5.  

He could, and I think it's a good idea, but he did say he wants to use his existing drives. I imagine cost is a factor.

Big Worm

He could, and I think it's a good idea, but he did say he wants to use his existing drives. I imagine cost is a factor.

Yes I read it.  But a year ago, plans could have changed. 

ikon

Yes I read it.  But a year ago, plans could have changed. 

Fair point. :)

JackoUK

An old thread ... but technology has advanced, so worth revisiting?

We now have Skylake CPU's and NVME storage ... which have got to be what you need for speedy VM's.

While I'd incline to separating storage and VM test servers ...

... if you want it all in one then maybe:

1. ASROCK EXTREME 7+ mobo

This has 10 SATA ports and 3 NVME  slots ... though that might be 8 SATA + 1 NVME drive in practice.

2. For a case how about the Antec 1900 - 12 drive bays and not too expensive.

Now add your CPU and RAM to taste.

Edited by JackoUK

jmwills

Whats' your budget?

JackoUK
Joe's splendid HP ML10v2 configuration, featured recently, would cost c£1200 bar the 4x5TB disks in the UK, largely down to £400 plus for a Server 2012 license. The same 4-bay storage solution with a low end Microserver, Windows 10 Pro and a single SSD would cost c£300.

The downgrade to client OS, single SSD, 4GB RAM and slower CPU would not however be much fun for testing VM's, though it would be perfectly adequate as a storage server, indeed better due to lower electrical power consumption. It strikes me though that with £900 I might be able to build a much better test server tuned for VM's.

1. The availability of Skylake CPU's suggests we can do better than the old XEON.

2. The availability of NVME suggests we can do very much better than RAID SSD's on SATAIII.

It might be preferable to trick out one's current workstation with £900 than build a new VM server.

If one must have everything in a single box, then the budget is £1200, expecting a lot more than only 4 drive bays, faster IO and faster processing.

What are your options? (Feel free to break the budget with one option if it is greatly superior).

Edited by JackoUK

JackoUK

The components I've been looking at lately for my workstation replacement and possible VM server build are:

ASROCK EXTREME7 motherboard

- 10 SATA ports and 3 NVME M2 connectors

- Skylake support

- 2 GBE ports

SAMSUNG NVME M2 SSD's

- vast bandwidth

Antec 1900 case

- 12 disk bays

Et tu, Brute?

Edited by JackoUK