RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can you suggest a software solution?

Currently I have a ReadyNAS DUO at the office that acts as a file server.  We primarily use it to access a access database with up to 10 simultaneous connections.

We are looking to upgrade and are going back and forth on either Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 or FreeNAS.  Can't quite decide where to go with this.  Any advice?

Robert Nguyen

Do you use Windows or Mac at work? If you use Windows do you want all the extras that come with windows.. Eg active directory... Just remember that freenas is a file store not a backup. Doing backup on windows server is alot more easy to do and you have more options...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Do you use Windows or Mac at work? If you use Windows do you want all the extras that come with windows.. Eg active directory... Just remember that freenas is a file store not a backup. Doing backup on windows server is alot more easy to do and you have more options...

We use Windows at work.  Not interested in Active Directory.  Just a fast/reliable file server.  I do like the backup options offered in Windows Server 

Robert Nguyen

Well freenas from the best of my knowledge will only do usb backups with windows you can use any third party vendor... The other option would be freenas and get one of your windows desktops to backup the nas via Google drive or something like that....

If you want backup, but not Active Directory, I would go with WHS2011.

Ditto.  For ~$45 US, you get a Windows Server platform that has the capability to perform bare Metal restores to clients, IMO, a no brainer.

Hi Robert Nguyen. Welcome to the forums.

The backup facility in WHS2011 is unmatched IMHO. It uses Single-Instance-Storage (which saves a TON of server disk space), can do Bare-Metal-Restores of Client Computers, and is completely automatic, even waking up sleeping computers to do the backup then putting them back to sleep.

In addition, WHS2011 can do all the file sharing you require, and has the ability to provide remote access.

• Like 1
Robert Nguyen

Cool ive never tried it. I may have to give it a shot to see what it can do.. Personally I've used 3rd party apps in particular asrigia which is about £1 per gb but automatically syncs all your stuff to the cloud. It sits on any Windows client and can back up anything being your vmware/hyper-v envrioments, SQL, bear metal, files and retention... And it does with about a 50 to 70% compression. The best thing with this is that it is all automatic and if something goes wrong or you want to change anything they will log In and do it all for you and it's all off site.. At my work I back up just over 3tb of raw data. And it Compresed to 700gb with a 35 day retention on data

Robert Nguyen

Actually you could even use asrigia to backup the freenas because all it needs to do is sit on any windows client. I do understand it a bit more £££ but if it's for work it's a no brainier as you pay for the service for them to add and Configure you backup and monitor backups everyday all remotely. I don't even bother with it any more because the service is so good