RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wireless recomendations

mrossco

I'm just about ready to retire my trusty Linksys WRT54GL, and I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on a good Wireless N router. The unit needs to serve as both my primary internet router and wireless access device.

I'm interested in N, but it's somewhat confusing with all of the Draft N and dual band options. I thought for sure the flood gates would open once the N spec was ratified, but I guess everyone went home before they managed to cross the finish line.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• JROrtiz

• mrossco

• whsvet

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not recommend the small Linksys N routers - they get pretty hot. My father has one and has had issues with it. I've also seen posts from other people having them fail due to overheating.

I have not used their N routers but, when I was using G routers, I found Buffalo routers to be excellent.

There are a few of us who use the D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router (including myself and Homeservershow).

I have no problems with this router and I replaced a Linksys WRT54G that I was having to reset every few days because it would lose it's connection to the internet. The D-Link uptime is awesome.

I have an (older) Linksys wrt 600n that I flashed with dd-WRT firmware. It works great and is rock solid. I have OpenVPN in it and use it to access my home network when away. This may be more than you really want, but my experience has been fantastic!

Yes, I am happy with my DIR-655. There are more configurable options in this router than I have found in any Linksys or Netgear box. I also have a DAP-1522 (I think that's the part #). It's a bridge/AP. Works great as a bridge, lousy as an AP. Having said that I'm in the market for a good access point. I would like to have a hotspot outside my house and the 655 is in the basement and I can't get good connections to it. I have even experimented with the DLink external antenna array with no luck.

As a good router and AP you can't go wrong with the 655.

My vote is the DIR-655, or if you plan on using 5gz than get the DIR 825. They are both great.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been leaning towards D-Link anyway only because I've been very happy with the Gb switch I have, and I like the idea of the "green" tech that reduces power usage where possible. I looked at the 825 and 855, but I was initially hesitant due to the promise of the D-Link Xtreme N 450, but I guess we can pretty much count that one out at this point?

Before you retire that Linksys router, investigate changing the firmware to Tomato. That particular model will accept the Tomato firmware and you will have a ton of features not available to the normal Linksys setup. One is the ability to boost the signal strength all the way up to 70 watts but the recommended is around 40 watts.
You can easily revert back to the Linksys firmware at any time.