RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need advice installing & moving data from V1 to 2011 with StableBit.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GDog

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

Drashna Jaelre

Absolutely! Glad it's behind me.  :)

Definitely! Scary stuff though!

Hi Drashna,

I didn’t realize until you said 'check your signature', that Christopher and Drashna were one and the same. Sorry. I know it’s been a while since this thread saw any action, but I’m not trying to resurrect it necessarily, and I didn’t just disappear deliberately. Right after your last post, I got hit with a deadly cellulitis staph infection that wound up putting me in the hospital. It’s been a very long, drawn out event, and they weren’t sure if I was going to make it. But fortunately, the worst is now over and I can get back to my projects.

I have decided to go forward with the shortcut method of just hooking up the drives to the new v2011 installation. However, before I do that, I would like to install the 2011 OS and the StableBit add-ons, along with a couple of extra Storage HDD’s I have and just sort of play around with v2011 to become familiar with it. I also want to make sure my new MB, Controllers etc are all working properly and the drivers all installed correctly. If I do this, can I just “empty and remove” any pool drives I have been playing around with prior to the transfer and the re‑attachment of my v1 HDD’s? OR, can I just “ADD” my old v1 HDD’s to the new system pool without necessarily detaching the drives I was experimenting with? Basically, I just want to make sure everything is functioning as it should BEFORE I commit my old pool to the new system.

Thanks so much, I appreciate all your help!

GDog

Depending on how you were playing around with them. If there was no important data in the disks you are/were playing with, you could format them. Once the last disk is formatted, the pool would "disappear". If there is important data on them, I'd say keep them in the pool, and add the additional disks from v1 to that pool. For simplicity.  You'd still follow the same guide, but you'd just add the disks to the existing pool. 

And here is the link again:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5463715

Definitely! Scary stuff though!

Depending on how you were playing around with them. If there was no important data in the disks you are/were playing with, you could format them. Once the last disk is formatted, the pool would "disappear". If there is important data on them, I'd say keep them in the pool, and add the additional disks from v1 to that pool. For simplicity.  You'd still follow the same guide, but you'd just add the disks to the existing pool. 

And here is the link again:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5463715

Thanks Christopher! I was just worried that I couldn't for some reason, ADD the old V1 disks to an EXISTING drive pool. I was thinking maybe the V1 disks had to be added as its own independent (and ONLY) pool. Now that I know I can do this, I am going to go forward with my plan, 

Thanks again, and for that link also! I will be back in touch as I get further along.

Gary

Drashna Jaelre

Thanks Christopher! I was just worried that I couldn't for some reason, ADD the old V1 disks to an EXISTING drive pool. I was thinking maybe the V1 disks had to be added as its own independent (and ONLY) pool. Now that I know I can do this, I am going to go forward with my plan, 

Thanks again, and for that link also! I will be back in touch as I get further along.

Gary

Yeah, absolutely no issue with that, whatsoever.

And I've recently cleaned up the guide that is linked, based on feedback, so if there is any issues with it, any sections not very clear, etc. Let us know.

Yeah, absolutely no issue with that, whatsoever.

And I've recently cleaned up the guide that is linked, based on feedback, so if there is any issues with it, any sections not very clear, etc. Let us know.

Hi Christopher,

Now that I have a better understanding of what is involved here, I read through those instructions again, and I have a couple of questions:

1. Re Step #3: I do not now run a "Headless" server. I have always just logged directly onto my server as you would any other PC, unlesss I could do what I needed on the Console. I was planning on using WHS 2011 the same way, When you say "...using remote desktop", I assume that is not the same as the "Home Server Console" as in V1, correct? So ... can I even run 2011 as non-headless? Should I? If so, can I complete these steps by logging onto the server directly, or does it HAVE to be through remote desktop? Also, if I log on directly, do any of these steps need to be modified? I am pretty sure I have never setup "Remote Desktop" in V1 anyway.
  2. Re Step #5: I have never seen Drive Letters associated with my Home Server V1 Shares. All I ever see is the name of the Share - that's it. Is this not the case with 2011? ie, does 2011 now assign drive letters to shares? Does Drive Pool remove the need for drive letters? Does this change anything regarding how I complete this step?
  3. Re Step #5: Do the NEW shares have to be the EXACT same names as the shares from V1, or can I change them? I would  like to change some of the primary share names if ai can.
  4. Re Step #9: What about sub-folders to the primary shares? Will all of them transfer over without issue, no matter how deep? Most all of my data is organized into many layers of sub-folders off the primary share folders.

That's pretty much it for now. Thanks so much, Christopher!

Gary

Drashna Jaelre

1. You can log in locally too. We just assume a "headless" or WHS based server for that. Remote Desktop allows you to connect to the system much like you would if you just logged in locally. 

Both allow you to access the desktop normally (which is what we want).

2. When you move the WHSv1 disks to a new system (or new install), Windows should automatically asign them drive letters. If not, you can use disk management to do that (diskmgmt.msc). 

And the "shares" folder, you don't want to mess with that. There are no actual files there. Everything is in those hidden "DE" folders, in the "Shares" folder there). 

DrivePool doesn't need drive letters at all, but "you" do, to access the files to move them over.

3. Nope, you can absolutely change them.
  4. Other than what you rename, the end result is an IDENTICAL folder layout to what you had on v1. 

And everything in the "PoolPart" folders are displayed in the pool, exactly how those folders are laid out.

Interesting. I thought the default sharenames created by/visible in the Console are sacrosanct: you can relocate them using the Move command, but you can't change their names or delete them.