RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Interim CPU Upgrade Choice

awraynor

My server, Core i3-540, has served me well for a few years obviously. The SSD upgrade

for the OS is the best thing I have done to it lately. We have just placed our house on the

market for sale so the "finance committee" is watching my tech purchases closely.

On a day to day basis the server does okay, but my new found love for Plex is trying the 

relationship. All of my DVD folder rips must be converted for Plex to play them and

thankfully the WHS 2011 MyMovies addin can do that automatically. The bad  part

is that it uses Handbrake and it will use every bit of CPU you can give it.  The i3 is a champ,

but it is quite slow. It takes over an hour per conversion, a trial on my desktop with the i7 

takes a third of time.

My board is a GB H55M USB3 Socket 1156. I can get a used i5 or i7 processor on E-Bay.

I am leaning towards the i7 for shear processing power, but worry about energy use later

one. Is an i5 a nice compromise for processing now and energy savings later?  There about

a 30% premium for the i7, but if it is worth it I'll go that route.

You could compare the PassMark scores for your choices but my gut feeling would be to go with the i7 -- I know with the Sandy Bridge the power useage was virtually the same at idle which is what the server will be at most of the time and when it is working hard it's getting things done faster -- then it's back to mostly idle soooooooooooooo.........................  my 2 cents anyway.

Handbrake does tend to max out whatever you give it, so if re-encoding DVD rips is time critical go the i7. If not, the i5 would be a good compromise and ensure that any other issues which may arise from the speed of the i3 are remedied.

PIcked up an i7-860 for $112, average sale price is $125 on E-Bay. Man, these old processors hold their values like Hondas. 

This should help keep the box alive for a little while longer. Need to keep the cash as we may move across town or across

the country, not sure yet.

This decision will be made soon and it's not likely to be across town.

I'll swap with you. You can move to El Paso, and I'll move back to South Carolina. I'll make you a deal on a nice 5BR house...

I think you'll be happier with the i7 than you would with an i5 or i3.  Enjoy and let us know how it goes!

I'll swap with you. You can move to El Paso, and I'll move back to South Carolina. I'll make you a deal on a nice 5BR house...

I love Texas. Regrettably my wife does not share the same passion.