RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replacement for x510?

Pepi1677

I have a data vault x510 and whilst there is nothing wrong (fingers crossed) I thought I might start to think about replacing it at some point. We have around 6 home users and I back up online through Amazon S3.

What are my options, ideally that work near enough out of the box?

TIA

First, welcome to the forums.

Second, wow, that leaves a lot of options. There are many NAS/Home Server devices available these days. Perhaps you can narrow down your criteria a bit by outlining some things you would want in a replacement unit?

Oh Ok, well we store all our family photos, we each have a personal folder mapped as a drive on each lap top, I have my business on there and the use windows 7 offline folders on laptops, I also have store a load of video/ dvd that I have ripped from our owned dvds, it backs up all attached pc, I back up to a Amazon S3 account, I access the server for files away from home. Hope that helps

If you're using it to back up your PCs I would go with WSE2012(r2) or WHS2011, depending on whether you are willing to have a Domain or not. If you go that route, then you have quite a bit of choice for host boxes. One of the most popular on these forums is the HP MicroServer line: the N36L, N40L, N56L, and Gen8.

I wouldn't recommend the N36L at this point. It's pretty old now, and might even be difficult to find. People are still buying N40Ls & N56Ls, and there are often great sales on them at places like Newegg. The Gen8 is the most current, but there are some considerations before going that route as it is a fair bit different from the N* units.

There's a lot of info on all of them on the forums. You should check out Joe_Miner's HP MicroServer Links thread: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5190-microserver-hardware-links/?hl=%2Bmicroserver+%2Blinks and cskenney's Gen8 specific thread: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/?hl=+microserver

Thanks for all the great info, I really appreciate it. I use to like all the messing about setting things up, but I don't have the time or the inclination now so I would rather have something which is relatively easy to set up and use. I have found the x510 a great bit of kit as I did the 495 before. I have read a little about domain and at first glance it seems a little complicated and seems to attract quite a bit of negative comments. The other key feature I use is folder duplication, I have had a HDD fail so I really appreciate its features, 

Ideally what ever I get I would need to run the x510 and the new device on the same network as I run my business on the x519 and I would prefer the security of slowly migrating over to ensure that it all works. Is WHS2011 still supported by M$?

I'm based in the UK are the models you mentioned available over here and the same spec as for you in the USA?

Hi Pepi1677 & Welcome to the Forums!

We have a lot of members from the UK and AU so hopefully they will jump in with their ideas.  Another place to check for additional info is http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3506-more-interesting-microserver-links/?p=35009 and follow some of the links on setting up a new system and also migrating.  I chose to go with WHS2011 on a N40L and later N54L while running my EX-487 in parallel for some time before making it a backup to my N54L using AllWay sync.

http://homeservershow.com/a-first-time-build-with-windows-home-server-2011-and-hp-proliant-n40l-microserver-part-i.html

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5484-first-timer-microserver-with-whs-build/?p=60476

I really like your step-by-step, slow migration approach Pepi1677. Especially with a business involved, I think it's a very prudent approach.

I agree Folder Duplication can be a great feature. I know you're planning to back up your PC's to the server, but what are you doing to back up the server itself? I hope you're not relying on Folder Duplication to be your backup. If so, I think it's a very risky approach. If you don't have a server backup strategy in place, please search the forums for info on the 3-2-1 backup strategy. Particularly with a home business, off site backup is key.

WHS2011 is still supported by MS. Mainstream support ends in 2016, and I think security updates end in 2020. It will still be available through OEM channels until 2025 believe it or not.

Yes, the HP MicroServer line is available in the UK.

I use Amason S3 for critical data, I also have 2 2TB drives connected by USB and I back up all the server regularly to them.

I sounds like WHS2011 may be around a while. I've looked at a few videos on line for set up of WHS2011, it looks similar to WHSV1. I assume there are adins for cloudberry.

WHS2011 dies not do folder duplication is that correct?

Glad to hear you have critical data backup.

Setting up WHS2011 is similar to setting up v1 (or almost any Windows Server for that matter; well, except for the Client Connector part ;) ).

I don't know about Cloudberry -- you'd have to check specifically, or perhaps someone else will chime in (I believe there are members who are Cloudberry users).

You are correct; WHS2011 does not have Folder Duplication. That was part of Drive Extender, which was removed for WHS2011. However, for very little money you can install something like Stablebit DrivePool, which will give an even better folder duplication solution. Another thing you will gain is the ability to back up the WHS2011 Server System Drive; something that was not really possible with WHSv1. For me, this was a really important improvement. Finally, WHS2011 is faster and more stable, IMHO, that v1.

BTW, when it comes time to install the Client Connector, it is very similar to v1, except you don't use some funky port number like 55000. You just use you client to browse to http://<YourWHS2011server>/connect.

There are other changes, but I think you can pick them up as you go. :)

Good luck with it. Please post back with your progress and ask questions if run into trouble.