RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How do I check Gigabit Network cards

Don W

I was just listening to your podcast, which is always great,BTW, and you were discussing about LAN speeds and I have a question. What is the easiest way to check if I am connecting at Gigabit not Megabit? When I check the speed under the Local Area Connection it says 100.0 Mbps. It says that on all my PC's. I have a new Gigabit Netgear router. Any recommendations???

Thanks in advance,

Don

Don,
The easy way that I use to check is to grab a large file and copy it to your sever or other PC and what the throughput in megs/sec. If you get 15 or less you are not connected at gigabit. IF you get between 15-30, you are connected but something is slowing you down, either cabling, slow drives, etc. If you get 30+ you should be OK. As comparison, I average around 65-85 megs/sec. This is crude but it is quick check to see if you need to look further.

I am getting 11.2 Mbps. So I guess I need to try and figure where my bottleneck is. I know the cable is Cat 6 throughout the house. So I guess I need to have each cable tested to see if they are able to connect at Gigabit.

Thanks

Don

donweiber, did you buy the cat6 cables or make them?

Also, you could dowload a program called Q-Check. You install it on your computers and then you can do throughput tests between the computers.

UPDATE:
I forgot to ask what OS you're running. If it's Windows, and later than XP, you will also need to dnload the appropriate endpoint software from Ixia. After installing Qcheck, uninstall Ixia Endpoint for Windows and install the appropriate one. You will also have to disable the Windows firewall temporarily, unless you want to make a permanent entry in the Exceptions list.

BTW, you reminded me that I haven't tested my own speed since I replaced my Netgear Gig switches with HP Procurve 1400-8G's. My speed is 615 Mb/sec.

Thanks to all but I finally figured it out. I have a UPS between me and the router and I guess it is only rated at 100 Mbps. Once I removed it and went straight from the router to my PC I connect at 1 Gbps. Now I am downloading from my WHS at 78 mbps. WOW what an improvement.

Thanks again

Don

ikon, is that a typo or are you really downloading at 615 Mbps??? What do I need to get to download at that speed. I thought my new 78 Mbps is fast.

Don

oh. LOL. No, that's computer-to-computer speed on my LAN: i.e. not from the internet. It's simply a way to check that the network is functioning properly (NIC, cable, switch, etc.) between 2 computers.

Mbps is a number that is 8 times MB/s. Small b = bit. Capital B = byte. So 615 Mbps equals 76.8 MB/s. You guys are essentially transferring at the same rate. ;-) The fastest you could ever see, theoretically, on a Gigabit connection is 125 MB/s. Depending on the file, I've seen close to 110 MB/s at the beginning 1/3 of a transfer before it dropped off to somewhere around 80 MB/s. I believe that's due to drive caching, but that's just a guess.

donwieber,
Glad you got resolved and found the problem. Enjoy your new found speed.