RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDD Not picked when installing OS on HP MicroServer N54L

lolo

Hi,

I trying to install Win2003Server on Hp MicroServer N54L and in the midst of installation an error is displayed saying a HDD cannot be found. but in the BIOS list the HDD is working perfectly. Any idea what be causing such an error?

20140109_160909.jpg

Since this is 2003, you may need a driver for the drive. What type of drice is this?

This action would require the driver loaded to removable media and loaded during the install when prompted.

Further to jmwills, what is likely happening is that the disk controller in the N54L is seeing the drive OK, but Server 2003 doesn't understand how to talk to the disk controller, so it can't see the drive.

The driver jmwills is talking about is one that would allow the Server 2003 Installer to talk to the disk controller. During install, there's a place where you can hit F6 to "Load Drivers". This is where Server 2003 would go out and look on CD/DVDs, USB HDDs, USB Flash Drives, etc. to find drivers and load them up, so it can talk to devices it wouldn't ordinarily know about.

That supports the 'missing driver' idea even more. I keep a 'Honeywell' USB Flash Drive around for just this purpose. The flash drive is useless for anything else, cause it's only 128MB. However, it holds quite a few drivers for devices that the various MS OS' don't know about, and it still has room for more. Also, with the red Honeywell on the side, it's very easy to spot :)

Trust me, it's not a hard process to do at all. Do it once successfully and you'll never worry about doing it again.

Its working now, What i did was to go back to the BIOS, changed the HDD settings from AHCI to IDE. now i can install without an problem. Hope this will work without affecting performance of the server.

Have you flashed the BIOS with the MOD-BIOS? Joe_Miner apparently had to do that in order to enable AHCI. Here's a link to his blog post from May 2013: http://homeservershow.com/moving-my-windows-home-server-2011-to-the-hp-proliant-n54l-g7-microserver.html.

You do want AHCI if possible because it has performance improvements over IDE, at least with more modern drives: things like NCQ.