RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Stelly

Remote Web Access Search facility issue

Stelly

I'm new to WHS 11, just set it up a few days ago, so perhaps I'm missing something, but any comment or advice would be welcomed.

So far everything is working fine, but the Remote Web Access Search Files facility raises a question.

The issue I am having is that a search appears to scan the whole server, when I only want it to search the currently selected folder (and sub-folders).

I have created several separate folders (e.g. d:\Aduio Books, d:\Music, d:\Videos etc.), but if I sign in via Remote Web Access, select the Music folder and do a search it also returns results from the Audio Books, Videos and other folders, which doesn't seem very user friendly (and is different to running a Windows Explorer search in Windows 7/Windows XP etc.).

So, I guess the question is, what can I do to ensure that users who sign in to RWA can search within a specific set of folders?

Thanks for any feedback

Stelly

Edited by Stelly

ikon

I'm interested to hear the answer to this as well.

jmwills

You should be able to filter those results in a column format.

Edit: If you tap the name of the column, that will at least sort the results alphabetically.

Stelly

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

I can see what you mean about sorting by column, but with 2Tb of music and a similar amount of audiobooks, eBooks and documents etc. the list could still be rather confusing, especially for other members of the family who aren't really computer literate.

I'm surprised that the facility doesn't allow a user to search within category, although perhaps I could partition the disks so that books are on the e:\ drive and music on the d:\ drive (but there's still no guarantee that this will work).

I guess I'll have to submit a support request to Microsoft and hope for an explanation.

I haven't been able to find any literature that covers this, but there must be some somewhere.

Cheers

jmwills

Well, for $45 (US) don't expect too much from this Search application.

Stelly

Yeah, I guess you're right.

I tried moving the Audio Books folder from one physical disk to another, but the Music search still picks them up, so it's even worse than I expected.

A Category Search Add-In that also allows you to select the columns you want to display would be really useful. 

The only other idea I have is to set up a Books account, a Music account, an Audio Books account etc. and only share specific folders with those accounts, but it would be inconvenient and it's a lot of work just to compensate for a very poorly designed search facility.

How annoying.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Edited by Stelly

jmwills

The Search Function will only index at certain intervals.  You are probably looking at a cached index.

Go to Control Panel>Indexing Options>Highlight the Desired Folder>Advance Button and then hit rebuild.  That should do it.

Stelly

Hi HSSG, thanks for the suggestion - it's something I hadn't considered.

I'll try it as soon as I get home (I only have access from the dashboard right now).

Stelly

This morning I added some new content to the shared Audio Books folder (on the e:\ drive), selected the folder in a Remote Access session and ran a search, which returned results from all shared folders (split across the e:\ and d:\ drives). So, I'm not sure the caching suggestion will work, but I'll try it as soon as I get home.