RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote Web Access not working after Hyper-V install

revengineer

Hi,

So I bit the bullet last night and transmogged my WS2012 Essentials to Standard. So far so good. This morning I installed remotely the Hyper-V role and upon reboot I lost remote web access to my server. I have the feeling this is due to assigning the only network card on the system to Hyper-V. I swear PCDOC was saying something about this on the Podcast but I do not remember when that was. Also a forum search did not give me the solution to my problem. Can someone help me out with what I need to do? Do I need a second network adapter? 

Thanks for any advice in advance.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• ikon

• timekills

• revengineer

IIRC, there is a setting (maybe during HyperV setup, maybe configured afterward?) that you can set to enable the NIC to be shared by HyperV and the host system.

Yes. Ikon is correct. I did experience an issue when I tried to enable a 2nd NIC and dedicate Hyper-V to it after Anywhere Access had already been setup. In VMWare Workstation on WSE12 I was able to overcome this by dedicating NIC 2 in bridge mode. Still holding off on moving to R2 for a while. VMWare works well as a fallback for VMs.

Ikon, what does VMWare call their server app now? workstation doesn't allow you to configure VMs to start on server boot. Have to kick them off once manually after starting server.

Good memory. I did mention that.  The solution is that you have to have two nic cards.  One shared will not cut it with Remote access.

Thanks for the input. However, arriving at home i found that I have a different problem. My Server no longer boots after installation of Hyper-V. It gets to the Windows logo, but the circle of spinning dots nevers shows. It just hangs. Now what???

Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode?

No, but a lucky google search just helped: On Gigabyte board needed to disable onboard USB 3. Not a problem, they are cr*p anyway and I did not use them. Server now starting.

Thank you all for your input on the shared netwotrking. I found the setting and accessing the server from external works. May try a second network card on the weekend per pcdoc. Enough excitement for the day. :-)