RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas James

Worst Case Scenario

ikon

I understand it can be financially challenging to keep backup copies of your data, but it's something you really should put significant effort into. For example, in your situation I would seriously consider using RAID5 for your main data pool and then using the left over drives to create a backup of your main pool. That will give you some more resiliency in the main pool and you'd still have a backup. It only costs the space of 1 drive.

Like Andne says, pick & choose your battles. If you can't afford to completely back up all of your data, at least single out the most important, critical stuff and ensure you have at least 3 copies of it, and keep 1 copy off site most of the time. Ideally, keep 4 copies of the critical data and have 1 copy off site at all times (rotate the copies on & off site so they can be updated regularly).

You didn't say anything about your slave server. Did the data get copied over or not? If it did then you have a full copy of all your data. If so, then you might not need ReclaiMe. You can re-establish the main data array and copy the data back. This time, I would use RoboCopy, or something like it, that you can monitor easily to see when the copy is complete.

Nicholas James

Unfortunately all the data is of the same type, I have a 8GB Dropbox account for all my personal documents etc.

The copy to the slave only got to about 10% so that's trashed.

I will see what is possible for me to try and get 4 x 3TB Western Digital RED NAS drives, I know the Green drives aren't ideal for RAID but one has to make use of what one has. (I have 20TB+ worth of SATA drives laying around, pity they are of no value second hand.)

Do you suggest I use hardware or software RAID on these machines if I do get new drives ? (4x3TB RAID 0)

I'm going to go ahead with the ReclaiMe software seeing as I can see all the data still on the drives even though it will take a few weeks to do the restore, it takes about 8 days just to complete the scan, i'll let you know how it goes.

psikey

Green drives and RAID don't go well together. If its an N54L class Microserver run them in AHCI and use Stablebit Drivepool to create your large storage volume.

I have WD Red in my servers and only use WD Greens in USB backup enclosures.

ikon

I still have some Greenies that I'm using for some non-critical backups, but I'm gradually migrating away from them altogether.

Nicholas James

Here's an update, I have redone the RAID on the slave server and changed the SATA to AHCI and created the 4 x 2TB RAID in Windows 2008.

The ReclaiMe software took about 7 days to complete it's scan of the 3 x 3TB drives and I am currently restoring folder 1 of 3 which contains about 11 000 files using about 2.5TB, this process is running at about 10% per day so should take 10 days in total (5 days remaining) , currently at 52%

The drives in both systems appear to be working fine and are chugging away day after day, I'm still convinced the failure was not drive related but directly related to the Western Digital greens on the Microserver RAID controller, if you recall the hardware RAID array configuration simply vanished for no reason after a reboot.

Edited by Nicholas James

ikon

Well, OK, but isn't having issues with WD Green drives on the RAID controller drive related?

Anyway, I'm glad it seems to be working now, and you're getting your data moved. I still believe you need to look into better backup.