RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Gen8 MicroServer -- iLO4 Management - AlertMail

GotNoTime

Yeah small business where it's not always an option.

You've got the full iLO chipset in the Microserver. It is the same one that they use in the large Proliants which means you get the same feature set once you unlock it with the additional license. It wasn't specially designed for the Microserver Gen8.

The Gen8 Microserver is the first one that has iLO. The older Microservers had optional Remote Access Cards which weren't iLO based as they used an Aspeed RAC chip.

Edited by GotNoTime
  • Like 1

snapper

Yeah small business where it's not always an option.

But to be fair, most small business should be using business connectivity, not consumer.

If nothing else, it gives a better service level for fixes etc.

Anyway I'm with virgin as well actually but had it ages so still got a blueyonder email address... Maybe still possible. I didn't see any mention of it on their help pages tho.

Ive been with VM for about 16 years and still have my ntlworld.com email address. I just use smtp.ntlworld.com as my mail server and it works fine.

By redirect traffic... Did you mean it doesn't work when you connect to a vpn or something?

Yep, when I'm working from home and remote into the office via VPN on the router, all traffic goes via that tunnel. Any iLO alerts will then fail as they will be seen by the VM mail server as originating from BT instead.

scruffters

I dunno, I think HP could easily address this issue if they wanted to.

I love their products, but this is trivial for them to fix.

In the same way its trivial for me to fix, but I wish I didn't have to!  -_-

• Like 1

CaptainFred

Ive been with VM for about 16 years and still have my ntlworld.com email address. I just use smtp.ntlworld.com as my mail server and it works fine.

I'll try that. So far I've tried smtp.blueyonder.co.uk and smtp.virginmedia.com and .net. Sending domain as the same. No test email received.

I dunno, I think HP could easily address this issue if they wanted to.

Exactly!

snapper

I'll try that. So far I've tried smtp.blueyonder.co.uk and smtp.virginmedia.com and .net. Sending domain as the same. No test email received.

Just checked my settings, in case you want to try to reproduce:

Email address is destination email address

Sender Domain is a valid domain that properly resolves (my own domain name)

SMTP port is 25

SMTP server is smtp.ntlworld.com

edit: just looked at the raw email message headers and it has this bit: envelope-from=ilo.MYDOMAIN.co.uk@MYDOMAIN.co.uk;

so if you are using your isp domain name as the sender domain, i wonder if the smtp server is throwing it out as there will be no such account registered?

edit2: if I change the sender domain to ntlworld.com, it still works for me. interestingly, it seems to be picking up my domain still.

smtp.mailfrom=ilo.MYDOMAIN.co.uk@ntlworld.com

I guess the ilo part of the hostname is coming from the iLO hostname setting on the network port and the domain is from my internal DHCP server config.

Might be worth playing with these other settings as well...

edit3: last one cause i'm going to bed in a minute!

I tried putting smtp.blueyonder.co.uk as my SMTP server and it works fine...

Edited by snapper

CaptainFred

Is the destination email address ntlworld.com aswell?

And sender domain ntlworld.com?

snapper

Is the destination email address ntlworld.com aswell?

And sender domain ntlworld.com?

destination email address is my apple .me account, not ntlworld.

my sender domain is my own personal domain, not ntlworld.

i've done a bit of editing of the post above - might be worth re-reading it as my changes might not have been there when you read it...