RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Gen8 MicroServer -- iLO4 Management - AlertMail

GotNoTime

Did anyone find a way round this?

Even my old DNS 2 bay NAS has the option for username and password so I can send the alerts from that through my ISPs SMTP mail server...

No. No support for authentication or encryption. As ajohnson30 mentioned, it is intended that you're sending these emails to an internal mail server and not directly out to the internet.

I've got a very low power ARM board here just running some basic network services such as a mail server and syslog receiver. I set the iLO AlertMail feature to send to that which then relays via my ISP mail server. Something like a Raspberry Pi 2 in a case would work well.

Edited by GotNoTime

CaptainFred

Seems a bit of a major oversight! Most people don't have a SMTP server let alone an open one...

Whats the ARM board you have? No idea what that is....

ToyCeli22

I tried wrestling this for a while, but all ways proven unsuccessful.

The only was I was able to get Alertmail to work with Gmail was to spin out a CentOS vm with Postfix.

• Like 1

schoondoggy

Seems a bit of a major oversight! Most people don't have a SMTP server let alone an open one...

Whats the ARM board you have? No idea what that is....

The MicroServer Gen8 is part of the Proliant family of servers that are designed for IT departments. Pretty much all IT departments have a mail server.

CaptainFred

Yep, but what if the company is small so only has 1 server, ie. microserver which is what they are aimed at after all, and their mail server runs on it... if it goes down it can't send the alert

Plus a lot of companies host their email in the cloud.

schoondoggy

Most cloud providers allow you to forward mail through one of there mail servers.

CaptainFred

Yeah if you are a business perhaps, but as an individual, for free?

snapper

Yeah if you are a business perhaps, but as an individual, for free?

thats the point - the micro server is aimed at a business!

anyway, have you tried your ISP SMTP server or spoke to them?

My ISP (Virgin Media in the UK) accepts non-authenticated SMTP as long as its from one of their connections. I can send iLO emails fine when connected direct but they bounce if I redirect all traffic on my perimeter router to another endpoint...

• Like 1

CaptainFred

thats the point - the micro server is aimed at a business!

anyway, have you tried your ISP SMTP server or spoke to them?

My ISP (Virgin Media in the UK) accepts non-authenticated SMTP as long as its from one of their connections. I can send iLO emails fine when connected direct but they bounce if I redirect all traffic on my perimeter router to another endpoint...

Yeah small business where it's not always an option.

Anyway I'm with virgin as well actually but had it ages so still got a blueyonder email address... Maybe still possible. I didn't see any mention of it on their help pages tho.

By redirect traffic... Did you mean it doesn't work when you connect to a vpn or something?

schoondoggy

Gmail for business allowed it last I checked.

• Like 1