RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

FYI: Mediasonic Probox

ikon

I bought one of these Mediasonic 4 bay enclosures to add to my WHS, solely for the purpose of daily backup. I did not add the box to my WHS drive pool. I have a scheduled RoboCopy job that copies my WHS backups and shared data over to the Probox every night.

I bought this box 1) cause it is cheap and 2) because someone posted on another site that it kept his drives between 27C & 32C.

Well, my drives are running bewteen 37C & 45C. I am quite disappointed. The box is tiny and attractive, but having hard drives above 35C is just something I really dislike (I actually much prefer drives to be 25C or lower).

So, just a headsup for anyone considering one of these.

Thanks icon for the warning. Many of these boxes do not have adequate airflow. Where you running the WD greens in there or something different as that will make a difference as well.

An excellent point Mike. They are WD's, but not green; they're 1002FBYS drives (1 TB, RE 3). These are enterprise class drives but, in my experience, other than physical shock like dropping from a height, the greatest enemy of hard drives is heat.

Certainly Caviar Green drives would run cooler, which is why I'm running them in my Acer H340. :)

Yeah, those drives generate extra heat. If you go to an enclosure like this, you should use the greens as they run 8-12 degrees cooler each depending on the model. In a small enclosure, that is a huge difference.

UPDATE: I opened the ProBox. I tried to completely dismantle it but could not figure out how to remove the front bezel. Oh well. I checked, and there are air vents in the PCB at the back of the drive cage. AFAIC, they're too small and in the wrong places, but at least there are some.

What I did was stuff bubble wrap into the gap between the top of the drive cage and the inside of the outer case (it is by far the biggest gap). I then used plumber's putty to seal the gaps between front edges of the sides of the drive cage and the inside of the outer case. I used the putty as a test material to see if sealing the edges would work at all.

The drives now run about 5C cooler than before. Not a huge difference, but significant. I set the fan to manual/medium and the temps ran about the same as they were when the gaps were unsealed.

I feel this confirms the hypothesis that a lot of the air was escaping around the sides of the drives. I will likely now open the box again and use more permanent materials to seal the gaps.