RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What grade would you give PP3?

Dave

On the next show I want to talk about what YOU think about PP3.
Are you having any issues?
How would you improve it?
What do you want in PP4(SP4)?
Are you using the Media Center TV Archive function, Console Quick View, Libraries.

Thanks for participating.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• usacomp2k3

• dvn

• surefoot

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really using any of the new features. I have no need to archive TV from the MC since I'm using MediaPortal at the moment. Libraries is nice but it could all be achieved from manual mounting before.

The only feature I have used on my test rig is the Console Quick View, nice for fast information even if I prefer to constantly have a RDP session on a second space on my lappy. Oh scratch that, my MacBook.

For PP4 I only have one wish: TV Server with capabilities to use WMCs as extenders.

It doesn't really do anything for me as I don't have a netbook, Media Center as a DVR, or windows 7. *shrug*

Ditto to usacomp2k3 for me. I am in the process of building a Windows Media Center based PC. I have been using Beyond TV on my current HTPC, but that product seems to be dying. I am waiting for my Windows 7 upgrade so no 7 for me yet. Three things I would like to see:

1. A central Media Center "brain"... so if someone chooses to record Dancing with Stars from the TV in my bedroom and then someone tries to do the same thing from the TV in the living room it will tell them that it is already being recorded.

2. Ability to transcode to Divx on the fly to the WHS after recording (basically more options in the transcoding department built in).

3. A backup of the WHS OS on at least one other drive to make getting back up and running much easier. Not sure of the logistics of doing that, but seems to be one feature that is sorely missed in a product like this.

I have been using PP3 since the BETA and really like the TV archive functionality, the only disssapointment is that nothing has changed since the beta. I would have really liked to see the ability to schedule the transfer at specific times. The libraries also work really well. Only thing I have noticed is that sometimes the homeserver password gets lost on the MCE box and the homeserver shares are not automatically pulled into MCE leading to great frustration of my wife.

I'd give it a B. The features are good, just not overly compelling with the posssible exception of the TV Archive function. I really like this capability but I'd like to see more flexibility with the configuration settings. For instance, you can't create a Zune compressed copy of HD WTC files (that use AC3) so why not allow that as an exception when setting the configuration to archive all tv files automatically. I"m a big Zune user so this is limiting.

Rensul

I agree that it does seem a little unpolished. Was there every any release of information about things they fixed between Beta and release? I didn't see or hear of any improvements at all, Certainly not the most requested ones which were the ability to schedule the moving and transcoding of recorded content instead of immediately, and the ability to handle AC3 audio in the transcoding and Zune playback.

I didn't try the BETA of PP3 when it was out so, for me the TV Archive function was exactly what I was looking for. I have a media center in my basement and it records all my shows. I had been using an HP Media extender in my bedroom to view the shows that was recored on it. But that was so limiting that i really wanted to put a lightweight PC there. But to get the PC to work right I had to do the reg hacks for it see the source as the MCE in the basement. Plus I had to install a usb tv tuner to get the wife acceptance factor of which i had nothing but issue with the audio and vidoe getting out of sync.
With the arival of PP3 and my new purchase of a couple of HD HomeRun Tuners all my noisy/blinky light equiptment stays in the basement (IE my main MCE box and the HD HomeRuns) and I have my smalllightweight PC in the bedroom that gets all its shows from the basement and if I need live tv it can connect to the HD HomeRun. Life is good :) I am happy and the wife is happy.
Only thing that would make this better is if they had remote scheduling so I could manage my schedules of my MCE in the basement from the one in the bedroom. Well that and now I need more HD Space, soon my HP Homserver will look like that octupus ride at the amusemen park.

I like the integration with the library and windows7. I do not use the tv archive since I do not use MCE.

The one thing I find interesting is that if I tell the Zune software on my windows 7 machine to use the libary/music folder it does not work. It actually refuses to map it. So I have to map directly to the Frankenbuild.